AndyD

Nov 26, 2002
Hi, I have oil on the piston rod of the rear damper. I guess the seals have gone but I can't find any listing for them on the parts catalogue. Has anyone rebuilt there damper for this problem ? Cheers Andy

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Andy, do you have a manual?
Are you talking about the shock? I've known people who's oil has leaked out of the shock, one a CRM250, the other a KX125 (I think).
It could be leaking out the bladder?
Unless you have access to pressurised nitrogen, you'll probably need to take the shock into a shop (they should be serviced yearly in any case, says me who needs to get it done after two years riding lol).

AndyD

Nov 26, 2002
Hi Michelle, yep the rear shock, the oil is on the piston rod and each time you push it in & out more comes out.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Sounds like it needs a service. It shouldn't cost much. We had the CRM done not too long ago for about $150NZ - so about 50pds. (then again, it was thru a friend, but I still don't think it costs much - all the oil had leaked out, but they have to empty it of oil in any case to change the gas & oil).
Up the top of the shock is an air bleeder hole which should have a bolt in it (by the shaft where it bolts onto the bike).
Hope that helps some - oh, I've heard you can service it yourself if you have the tools & know-how & get someone to pressurise it for you, I just reckon it's easier to take the whole thing in.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Fred, I think it'll be better for him to find someone closer by (I'm taking it he's still in the UK somewhere ;)) - but advice is universal, just the pricing may be a prob ;)
Sorry, couldn't resist. BTW Andy, I noticed that there's another thread about rebuilding the shock on the front page of the forum (but haven't gone to read that yet) - may help more? - oops, just saw you've replied to it - ignore this :)

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom