Data Base - Kdx 200 Carb Settings

nhoj

Oct 30, 2008
I would like owners to add the following (only for KDX 200's)

Year of bike =
Main jet =
Pilot =
Clip position =
Mix =
Altitude = (sea or high up)
Temp = (hot - above 10 degrees C, Cold - below)
Mods =
Other =

nhoj

Oct 30, 2008
Year of bike = 2006
Main jet = 160
Pilot = 48
Clip position = middle
Mix = 32:1
Altitude = (sea or high up) N/A
Temp = (hot - above 10 degrees C, Cold - below) Hot
Mods = STD
Other = Std setup with new bike for South Africa

Last edited:

nhoj

Oct 30, 2008
Year of bike = 2006
Main jet = 160
Pilot = 48
Clip position = middle
Altitude = Sea
Temp = Hot
Mods = Gnarly pipe + powercore + reeds + snorkel removed
Other = This setup is not 100% correct, still have sploog and a bit of a flat spot

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
nhoj said:
I would like owners to add the following (only for KDX 200's)

Year of bike = 1995-2006
Main jet = 160
Pilot = 48
Clip position = third groove from top
Mix = airscrew??:1 1/2 +\- 1/4 turns out
Altitude = (sea or high up) 1000 feet
Temp = (hot - above 10 degrees C, Cold - below) above, of course
Mods = stock, including carb
Other =
float height: 16 +/-2mm
needle jet: N426-24C00
needle: R1174K 2AFKQ
starter jet: 78
slide (cutaway): #5

josefmd

Jul 19, 2008
Year of bike = 2006
Main jet =152
Pilot =42
Clip position =2
Mix =32:1
Altitude = 1000
Temp = varies from 40's in fall/near winter, 80's to 90's summer
Mods = Snorkle removed, FMF rev pipe, TC powecore 2 silencer. BR7ES plug.
Other = I still get spooge. Have tried a crap load of combos, going richer on pilot/leaner on clip, etc. I have basically given up tweaking this thing. I have also checked reed's, float height, repacked silencer, etc, and I am still smoking too much and getting spooge.

josefmd

Jul 19, 2008
You mean go to 44:1 and effectively make it worse by making to circuit richer. Less oil means more fuel=richer jetting. From all I have learned from a lot of threads with regards to this subject, it's better to stick with whats recommened 32:1 and jet for that. The common method is going to something like 50:1 will cure plug fouling or excessive spooge/smoke, it dosen't, it makes it worse.

aussie smoker

Aug 21, 2008
Year of bike = 2000
Main=162
pilot= 48
Needle clip= second from top
Mix 40:1
Altitude = sea to 500 ft
Temp hot above 10 degrees c
Mods = Pro circuit platinum 2 / snorkel removed.
Have tried many combos with jetting and found current set up suits me best .
Still get spooge / smoke , even with a fresh top end approx 1.5 hrs old.
I was told by a dirt bike expert to run 50:1 but cant get my head around that.
His theory was that fully synthetic oils of today such as Motul 800T are far better lubricating than those of say 10 years ago .
Also a richer fuel mix will burn most oil creating less smoke and spooge .

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Spooge and smoke comes from burning oil, not from burning gasoline. You can reduce both by going to premium synthetics at 50:1.
That is...if your heart can take it.

Two-strokes engines will ALWAYS have some smoke and oil residue in the exhaust; there is no way to get around it. These are not four-strokes.

zeerx

Jan 25, 2003
I run 64:1 Golden Spectro Concentrate with 110 race gas. If I get it exact there's no splooge. Put in a tiny bit more oil and the splooge is back. Smoke it there reguardless. KDX220. YMMV. Cheers.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
josefmd said:
You mean go to 44:1 and effectively make it worse by making to circuit richer. Less oil means more fuel=richer jetting. From all I have learned from a lot of threads with regards to this subject, it's better to stick with whats recommened 32:1 and jet for that. The common method is going to something like 50:1 will cure plug fouling or excessive spooge/smoke, it dosen't, it makes it worse.

yeah, i know that less oil makes the bike richer, but I assume you would know that you would have to adjust for that with the jetting.

so you think spooge and plug fouling is caused by the bike running rich (by rich I mean too much fuel, I am not meaning too much oil)?

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Year of bike = 2001
Mix = 32:1 Yamalube 2R
Main jet = 155
Pilot = 45
Clip position = 2nd from top
Mix = 1 1/2 out
Altitude = about 900'
Temp = 40°-80° plus
Mods = Air box lid opened, no snorkle. Just enough left to hold the electronic gizmo/Ready racing air filter
Other = Bike still smokes some. I tried 152/42 combination but had bad bog off idle. Mix screw had to be less than 1 turn out to get rid of it. Went back to richer jetting. Bike runs great. I'd rather err on the rich side.

aussie smoker

Aug 21, 2008
mudpack said:
Spooge and smoke comes from burning oil, not from burning gasoline. You can reduce both by going to premium synthetics at 50:1.
That is...if your heart can take it.

Two-strokes engines will ALWAYS have some smoke and oil residue in the exhaust; there is no way to get around it. These are not four-strokes.

Mud pack im with you on the smoke, but spooge would indicate not all oil is burning ??

My son has a YZ 125 2000 model and I also ride with mates on Kato EXC'S . My KDX blows enough smoke for all of them .
They do not smoke any where near the KDX and I have new piston and rings .
I guess its just a KDX thing ..

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
I guess its just a KDX thing ..[/QUOTE]

I think it must be. My KDX runs great as jetted and my plug is tan. Not burning any tranny oil but it does smoke more than my KX and always has since new. I often wonder if its the stock silencer collecting oil. I was planning on changing to a FMF pipe and silencer over the winter so we'll see.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
I know that when I accidentally put my 32:1 lawnmower mix in my 64:1 weedeater, it smoked like crazy and it normally doesn't smoke at all. I guess it depends on the color of the smoke.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
aussie smoker said:
Mud pack im with you on the smoke, but spooge would indicate not all oil is burning ??
True. Oil residue in the exhaust system is unburned lubricating oil. This is the oil that is in the fuel. Two-strokes are ALWAYS burning oil....that's how they are designed.

Four-strokes rely on good rings...correction: good oil scraper rings, (not the upper sealing rings) this is why two strokes do not have oil scrapers and four strokes do...to prevent crankcase oil from getting into the combustion chamber, being burnt, and producing exhaust oil smoke.
Two strokes produce exhaust smoke no matter what the condition of their rings, since the oil comes in with the fuel as per design.
NO two stroke will burn ALL of the oil in it's fuel mixture; oil just doesn't burn fast enough, and some of it will always go out with the exhaust gases. The richer you pre-mix...say 32:1 instead of 50:1... the more oil you'll get in the exhaust system. But a two-stroke will always have some oil coming out its exhaust.
Just to complicate our lives a little more: some oils will burn more completely than others. This is why some bikes that seem to smoke very little will have comparatively large amounts of spooge. And visa versa....

That's it for today's lesson. Bring your Kawasaki Factory Service Manuals to class tomorrow, we'll be looking at rear suspension geometries and how to set up damping rates to take advantage of the KDX's system. :rotfl:

mud

lumpy39us

Dec 21, 2007
Year of bike = 2002
Main jet = 162
Pilot = 50
Clip position = needle, 1173, 2nd from top
Mix = 40:1
Altitude = (sea or high up)500 to 1500
Temp = (hot - above 10 degrees C, Cold - below) 40-95
Mods = FMF Gnarly Woods pipe, powercore2 silencer, Vforce3 reed cage, removed airbox lid
Other = spark plug B8EV

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Year of bike = 2000
Main jet = 148
Pilot = 38
Clip position = DEK-4
Mix = 40:1, Interceptor, 5% Toluene. 2 1/2% Trick 114
Altitude = 2000-4500 generally
Temp = Last ride- mid 30ºs to mid 40ºs
Mods = FMF -30 (rev) pipe, PC silencer/arrestor, Vforce3 reed cage, holes drilled in lid, snorkle in, RB modified air striker, RB modified head, 12/47 final

Other = spark plug BR8EG, grip heat (delicious)

branhine

Nov 1, 2008
Year: 2005 KDX 200
Main: 155
Pilot: 45
Needle/Clip: 1174K, -2
Mix: 40:1 WP2
Altitude: 900ft +/-100
Temps: 40 to 90+ degs
Mods: FMF Gnarly -35 (woods/torque), Powercore 2 Silencer, Airbox lid removed
Plug: BR8EG

2morestrokes

May 19, 2012
Back from the archives,...
Year of bike = 2006 KDX200
Main jet = 158
Pilot = 48
Clip position = 2
Altitude = Sealevel, actually about 25 feet above.
80 degrees
Air Screw 1.5 turns
Mods = Inside portion of snorkle, cut about 2 inches off total inside, snorkle just went way to far inside the airbox, helps throttle response and carb adjustment with current jetting.
Other = Bike is near mint condition with only around 35 or so trail miles on it since new, honestly doesn't even feel broke in yet. ;)

Top Bottom