Daughter used my kdx gas in 4 wheeler

WILLETTS

Jul 28, 2002
My 8 year old daughter used my kdx gas(32:1) in her oil injected suzuki Quadmaster 50.Should I drain her tank or just let the 4 wheeler run it out? Don't want to foul the plug with too much oil?

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Drain it. It may possibly cause it run too lean with all that oil or it may not, but why even chance it.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I've had that happen before, just run the gas out. You may foul a plug......

G Smith

Mar 30, 2002
My wife used my premix in my father-in-laws john deere riding mower and later we overhauled the engine because the mower is @ 32 years old. the mechanic said that was the best looking motor he had seen and tried to buy it. All it did was make the mower smell like a two stroke.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
It won't hurt anything, just forget about it. My fondest childhood memories are of the smell of a 2stroke dirtbike, maybe I'll put some oil in my KLX's gas just for sentimental value! :)

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
Don't feel bad, I accidently put some in my lawn mower one time.
It didn't hurt it any.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Why on earth would it ever run lean in this circumstance? Instead of injecting oil into raw gas it's injecting oil into oiled gas. It it's calibrated to auto-mix 32:1, then you'll get 16:1 in the combustion chamber. Fouled plug is the only concern, just tell her to stand on it! :)

GREER RACING

Jun 27, 2002
Too rich verses too lean has nothing to do with the amount of oil mixed with your gas. It has to do with the gas itself. More oil mixed into the gas means that there is less gas entering the engine through the jets, therefore creating a lean condition. In your case, the gas already has oil mixed with it. The injection of more oil into the gas will create a lean condition. Do yourself a favor and drain the gas out of the tank and carb. You'll prevent a lot of costly damage. Check out www.maximausa.com for info about gas/oil mixtures.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I highly doubt it will do any damage to a little 50cc quad. Also, Greer, how come when I change my ratio from 40:1 to 32:1, I foul plugs. By your theory it makes it run leaner, so therefore it 'should' be revving high and going 'bwoooaaaahhh' from running lean?? If my bike was running lean and I didnt feel like rejetting, then should I change my mixture from 40:1 to 52:1 because less oil to gas ratio in a given volume means it will run richer because more gas to air ration?? :silly:

Last edited:

GREER RACING

Jun 27, 2002
Glitch,
I will try to answer your statements one at a time.

1) Regardless of engine size, I do not believe that it is worth the chance of engine damage. A couple of dollars wasted on gas verses hundreds in possible damage. Does not make sense to me.

2) If the manufacture recommends 40:1, less oil more gas, (which is a richer mixture than 32:1, more oil less gas) and/or your bike has been re-jetted to accommadate the 40:1 mixture, then that would explain why you foul plugs at 32:1. This would be an oil foul and not a carbon foul. Other factors that play a part are the condition of the engine, electrical components, quality of oil used, amount of octane in the fuel, along with temperature, humidity, and altitude. There are other specific influences, but I'm trying to keep this short.

3) If a bike is running lean or rich, you can change the mixture to account for this without changing the jetting. But be warned. Less oil is not healthy for a bike. This oil is providing lubrication. Better to re-jet than to run less oil.

4) Lastly, this is not my theory. It is based on facts and is supported by web sites from companies, professionals, and experts in the field. I figure that they know more about these subjects then I do. You can either take thier advice and apply it to your conditions or you can blaze your own trail and take your chances. The choice is yours. My choice is to use the expert advice that they offer.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
GREER, I just read maxima's technical pdf files and it explains alot. Thanks for recommending the site.

Last edited:

WILLETTS

Jul 28, 2002
I found she only put in about a 1/2 tank,I just topped off the tank with the gas intended for it.Running geat,no problems.Ya know though,I usually run 87 octane in the 4 wheeler(book reccomendation)and it runs fine but when she rode it with my gas which is 94 octane mixed 32:1 it seemed to run faster,maybe I should start running 94 in the 4 wheeler.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Ahh, I see you point about having more oil in the gas causing a lean mixture. This may cause a lean running condition, but not in the way that would be damaging. It could run lean on combustable mixture, but will be excessively oiled in the process--not like running too lean on a proper mix. Phew, by now the gas is proably gone :P

RFJ_His_Son

Dec 14, 2001
my KDX250 has autolube, and I ran out of fuel out riding one day. grabbed 2 litres from my friend's tank (pre-mixed) and rode home with no problems other than making rather more smoke than usual.
No harm done at all.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…