Joncy

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2002
I really hate to ask this question, but I have to. But first, let me explain my ignorance. I just got into biking seriously last year. I have a friend who lives in Vegas and he invited my wife & I down to the SX finals last year. We went not really knowing anything. Needless to say, I am a huge fan now. I have been following all the races this year and I am much more familiar with the riders. We plan on going to Salt Lake and back to Vegas this year. My knowledge of past riders is slim to none. That brings me to my question: Is David Bailey paralyzed? If so, how and when did it happen? The reason I ask is that my wife pointed out to me that he is always sitting on a four wheeler when they begin their broadcasts on ESPN. I really hadn't paid much attention to the fact. Since she brought it up, I got to looking and his legs do look atrophied to me. Sorry to be so ignorant, but I am anxious to learn. Thanks for taking the time to read this long winded question! -Jon

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Don't feel bad for asking questions, specially on this site. There are a lot of people here that will help answer your questions, ,or direct you to someone who can. You do get the occasional smartA$$ though :) .

If you ever bring your boy to race in my area or if you want to know were to ride here, let me know.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by Joncy
My knowledge of past riders is slim

The AMA has a good page about the history of the sport, if you are interested.

http://www.usmotocross.com/article.php?UID=Q845nH6oS9kfw49nliZFAJbHTRMIq9&aid=60

Even though Bailey's career was cut short, he is #11 on the all time AMA win list. It was a pleasure to watch him ride - very smooth and fast, and a great representative for the sport.

BTW, Bailey has been successful in the wheelchair class at the Ironman triatholon.

Last edited:

Joncy

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2002
Thank you all for your answers and patience. I haven't had a chance to go to the web sites yet, but I will. SirThumper, thanks for the invitaiton. We are hoping to get our boy started riding a racing bike this spring and if he likes it, racing next year or something.

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
I was lucky enough to get to go for a play ride with DB back while attending one of his dad's schools as a 17 year old intermediate. It was before the Lake Whitney national back in '81 and he was riding KX's as a privateer. He was fast but I had no idea that he would go on to be a future MX and SX champion. I couldn't be happier to see him go on to be the guy to beat in any race he entered and it was a bummer to learn of his injury in '87. The record books would certainly have had a lot more DB wins if not for that crash. I'd guess he'd be top 3 all time if not for the shortened career.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
I've been into riding again for about 2 1/2 yrs now and just figured out he was paralyzed too about a month or so ago when I saw something about his triathalon victory. I found a site somehwhere with his whole history and checked it out.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
I have been following supercross and motocross racing since I can remember and david was always a favorite of mine. I consider him one of the best ever,mainly because of his effortless riding style and just being soo smooth. The only other riders I've seen that can ride like that is Ron Leichien and mcgrath. Noone else comes close.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by Dan105
The only other riders I've seen that can ride like that is Ron Leichien

I can still remember watching Bailey and Lechein lead the pack up the Carlsbad freewy at the '85 USGP. It was a thing of beauty. Those guys were so fast...

Joncy

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2002
I just read is bio on his web page. It didn't say much about his crash. What is the story behind the crash?

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
He was practicing and messed a jump up and when he landed his butt hit the ground first taking the impact. Your bum and your back are the two places that cant take impacts well. (there is another spot for us guys but it wont kill us :)

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Well you learn something new everyday. I saw him on ESPN last season all the time, and I saw a sory on his dad the "Professor", in which I saw David on a 4 wheeler, and I didn't have the faintest he was paralysed.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
i remember him talking about how his accident changed his life. One of the things he said, I would not have even thought about. He said it was alot of work changing his house around to make it user friendly for him to get around. Theres alot of things you have to change. Just makes me realize how much I take some stuff for granted

outpost22

Feb 24, 2003
This is my first post on this site, and on a subject that was extrtemely depressing at the time. I believe David was at a Golden State Series tune-up race for the outdoor nationals. I didn't make that race due to other commitments, but my racing buddy was there. He told me that David attempted to "double" a jump in practice that wasn't a "double jump". Consequently, he is in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Either shorly before or after (it's been too long to remember now) Danny "Magoo" Chandler tried to slap a finish line banner in a Supercross (in Europe I think) and crashed. He too was paralyzed. After these two accidents by two of the best riders in the world, it really made me think of what can happen in the sport we love.
I used to race against Magoo when he was just a little long haired squirt (1975) that would either crash his brains out on his ratty 125 Yammer, or win...there was usually no in-between. He even rode Maico's (which he broke with great consistency) and later Honda's.

David was just the opposite. He was SMOOTH and aggressive with no quit at all. I've got some great pictures of him at Washougal in 1985 on the last true "works" bikes & 1985 on "production" bikes. He is truly a classy guy. (sorry for the long post, I got carried away).

B

biglou

There was another thread about this in the General Forum. If I remember correctly, Billy was on the track right behind David when he had his accident. Billy's post in that thread is a good read. I'lll see if I can find it.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
outpost22,
Magoo was paralyzed in December 1985. News of them both getting hurt were real downers. David was just flat out the smoothest rider while Magoo was all or nothing like you said.

Top Bottom