decrease CR muffler db levels ?

NJGregsCR

Feb 25, 2007
The 97 CR25R I bought last month has an FMF fatty and matching silencer on it. I went to repack the silencer but it's trashed and held together by saftey wire.
In an effort to quiet down the bike so I don't piss off the neighbors, I bought a stock CR silencer from **** and ordered a Db Snorkel.
My question is, anybody have an idea of how quiet the stock silencer is compared to the FMF silencer, any any additional ideas on how to quiet the rest of the system would be appreciated.
I've added a flywheel weight and 51 tooth rear sprocket, along with a hotter plug, I think it should make a fair woods bike.

Crzyfrlss1

Apr 5, 2006
Xtremesports445 said:
i got one of those db snorkels for my kx125, but it really doesn't do a whole lot, maybe a loss of a decibel or 2

Well forget that idea then, don't wanna be out of $85 for a no-good sound reducer thingamajig. :bang:

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Gidday people - most of the sound issues come from the expansion chamber so the nuffler is probably the least effective place to reduce noise. Check out a KDX - extra thick chamber and nice and quiet.

I had an FMF fatty on my previous RM250 and that was LOUD.

Some of the factory pipes are actually not too bad for noise, but you can always go quieter :nod: I actually think a wrap around protector like an Eline or that fibreglass one would give some protection and quieten it down too. Then go for a Q or a turbinecore muffler and you're lookin good.

Probably not practical but a wrapped exhaust would be quiet! Not very shiny though...... :laugh:

Jun 5, 2006
Crzyfrlss1 said:
Well forget that idea then, don't wanna be out of $85 for a no-good sound reducer thingamajig. :bang:

Hey, i'm not saying don't get one. The reviews i read varied greatly. some people claimed a loss of 10-15 decibels! All i'm saying is just don't expect to much.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
MUCH of the noise on a 2 stroke comes from the airbox and the expansion chamber. At least, that is what you hear when riding the bike.

I put a FMF Q on my 125 and was disapointed, it really didn't seem any quieter when riding it. I then made a baffle for the airbox and did some stratigic foam packing. Sounded a bit quieter, but still seemed loud. Turns out I was the quietest bike of the weekend at a local race when the meter came out! So riding a bike with a dB snorkel may not seem much quieter, but it really does reduce sound level considerably, and keeps the sound from carrying.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Somewhat like a stock KDX airbox lid. It was card board and duct tape. A flat lid with approx a 1.5 x 4 inch hole near the back. Then I made a snorkle of sorts that came from about 2" in the air box and made a 90 degree towards the gas tank for another 2 inches or so. I don't have any pics, and already scraped it, sorry.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
adam728 said:
MUCH of the noise on a 2 stroke comes from the airbox and the expansion chamber. At least, that is what you hear when riding the bike.
The potential for sound may originate in the intake and expansion chamber, but I think the actual noise starts in the combustion chamber. A free flowing intake and exhaust allows more air (and fuel) to flow through the combustion chamber and therefore makes more noise. The thing that you forget is that the sound exits the bike through the silencer, which has the final say in how much noise gets out. The silencer has the capacity for the greatest noise reduction with the lowest power loss. Air/fuel flow through the engine = horsepower.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Exhaust exits the silencer. Sound exits in many, many different places. I do agree that a silencer will make the biggest sound reduction. But even if you had a silencer that let out zero sound a bike would still make a lot of noise from other areas.

Top Bottom