holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
As I headed toward Victorville it was raining like mad, so my first thoughts were “What kind of lunacy am I getting myself into?” However, when I arrived at Deep Creek, conditions weren’t too bad, so it looked like a decent day for riding.

Heading out on the first loop, speeds were pretty low. I went through the first check looking at my differential time instead of my key time (I wonder how many times I’ve made that mistake)? The second check was a surprise, as the checkers were hidden in a clever location.

Near the beginning of the second loop, I decided that I would ride off to one side of the trail, as there was much less mud there than on the beaten path. The first thing I hit was a sharp looking thing protruding from the ground (I could almost feel the tire puncture as I went across). It wasn’t long after that I could hear the pitty-pat of the flat rear tire.

My arms were like limp noodles already, so I didn’t need the additional clutching, directional correction and traction in the more technical sections that the flat tire gave. Everything went downhill from there. I crashed twice – once in the V dropoff before the second check and once again in a rocky uphill that had me fighting the bike (baweeeee-bawweee-burp).

Unfortunately, the second crash had me landing face first into a cactus/palm tree (the ones that sorta look like a punk rockers spikey hairdo) and one of the spines poked a decent sized hole in my face. The first thing I noticed was a numbing sensation similar to that of a dentist’s freezing. But this was an enduro, and in enduros you must endure. Good thing we had rain, otherwise there may have been coyote urine on the cactus. When I got back to camp at the finish, I could see that my face had swollen to look like a lop sided (bloody) chipmunk. :yikes:

Overall, the course wasn’t too difficult, it’s just that I was a dime short of a full dollar (in more ways than one). :joke:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Jan 9, 05- Deep Creek enduro-

The weather was on forefront of what I was thinking about as I was getting my stuff ready for Sunday’s ride, and also because I was trenching in front of my house to divert water to the drains instead of running in my living room like it has been doing recently. It was a late Saturday night for me, out with friends for a birthday dinner. I got to bed around 1:00 and my wife got home around 2:ish waking me up for a bit. :debil: The alarm went off at 5:45 and I didn’t want to get out of bed, it was raining hard and had been a good portion of the night. I got up and threw my stuff in and checked the current radar and cloud temp maps; looks currently dry in Victorville but cells of red, yellow and orange heading in, damn looks like my early weather prediction was wrong.

The drive out had driving rain and was especially heavy in the pass accompanied with wind. The desert side of the pass showed some promise and was only light rain at Dale Evans when I pulled in, but that changed quickly. It was raining hard by the time Scar and I went to sign up. Very few seemed to be out and Scar and I were the only riders on minute 13, the last minute. I realized that I left my camelback at home and I didn’t find the digital watch my wife and I share, (it wasn’t where she said it was). I decided to just use the start to set my keytime and not stand out in the rain any more than I need to. As we get to the start, it is only raining lightly. We are chatting with the ladies that are at the start when Scar says, “should we go?” So much for an accurate keytime.

1st loop of the course had nice wet desert with only a few spots that looked like mud. Speeds on the first loop were a little slow, I wanted to warm up some and stopping would quickly fog the goggles and my newest riding accessory, glasses. (more on that later) I nearly burned the second check, I thought I left enough distance to allow for some check “float” when I jumped over a little knoll I heard someone yell “HEY!” without the yell Id have never seen em’, I think I need to adjust my tire size some. At the end of the first loop we had some time and there was 1 more possible before we can get a chance to get to the trucks, so we wait, and it rains. After re-hydrating at the truck and drying the gloves on the defrost, we take off on loop 2, the course is showing more water and mud now, good fun. We catch up to some on earlier minutes and get trapped in a ravine with a downed rider in front of us partially blocking the trail, looking at my comp, I was still early, there was room to pass if I push it but I thought it was a lucky break to click off some time, from behind I hear Scar scream out to go, so I ride over the wheel and make it to the check, I still don’t know if we were ~10 seconds into the minute or the next minute. 1st check on loop 3, I thought Scar, who was in front, almost burned. Stopping for that one was tough on the greasy downhill, and I think she scored me about 15 seconds earlier than I was. The speeds were up and I was having a blast. :aj: The back to back resets were bolloking up riders in front of us and I nearly got in trouble trying some off course passes, I never managed the passes but I did get myself decorated with mud.

As I have hinted before, I have had vision problems during rides that would cause double vision and a complete loss of depth perception, that would always lead to hitting things I didn’t want to and not able to ride in general. I finally found an ophthalmologist to make some specs for my slight astigmatism (others thought it was not enough to cause problems) I felt like a new man, I was having such fun riding hard I almost didn’t care about timekeeping and just wanted to ride. And that was with only having 4 hrs sleep and no camelback, I’m happy. :yeehaw:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
That ride was a blast. :cool: I was a little concerend about the travel to and from (thinking the Cajon Pass might be closed) I left early Sunday AM to head out. Ha my bike wrapped in plastic to at least attempt to have a dry seat and grips. Cought up to 2stroke on the 91 and we crusied on out with pleanty of time and very little hassle. Just drove a little slow and took my time.

The race. we pulled in next to Scott and Tony. It wasn't raining so I unwrapped my bike and went to check in with Chris. we got the last minute, minute 13. "the lucky minute" just the two us. At check in it started to pour. (so much for the dry bike I already unwrapped) :think: went back and sat in the truck until start. The rain lightened up and off we went.

It was like riding in another part of the country a real treat. :) Some of the desert and hills were green, the traction was good for most of the way and a little snotty in some areas. It was so much fun to ride in the I had a really hard time staying under the speeds. I only picked up 6 seconds until the loop 2 split off. Was heading down a real fun rocky hill and waterfall when we caught up to late riders on earlier minutes. It was single track only and boulders on both sides, Chris and I made some daring passes and came to the same waterfall. We could see the check 10 yards away and we were right on time. Unfortunately, another late rider planted himself sideway across the only opening. tick tick tick, come on move, tick tick tick :bang: He waved us down and we ended up riding over part of his bike as he wasn't in a hurry to get back to it. We didn't get into that check untl the next minute. UUUGGGHHH :bang: I believe those were the only other seconds I picked up Oh well.

Loop 3 was great I wanted to fly through the desert all day and loop 3 gave me my chance. What a great way to end a fabulous day. The weather helped but IMO one of the best TWMC events.

Thanks to all for putting on the event. See you at the UEA

Tim

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Holeshot, sorry I missed meeting you. I was wondering who that dude was with the swollen face.

Ride was really fun, although my gear and bike will take forever to clean up. I won't give any ride details since you all read the reports earlier. But....

On the morning I drove out to the Deep Creek event it was still dark and I did see the signs warning about street flooding, but after seeing 4 or 5 signs like this on my drive and not actually driving through any floods, I kept my speed up and ignored the warnings.
On Anvenue T in Palmdale I ran into a washout/river crossing. I was already committed since I could not brake hard enough to stop short of the washout. I had water up to my doors and the washout went on for about 1/8 of a mile. Scary stuff.
On the way back I decided I would try to return the same way. I wish I would keep a camera in my truck. Because of the continuous rains the washout was now a danger spot because the water had risen and the speed at which it was flowing was incredible. There was an Urban Search and Rescue crew out on the water. Get this---2 firefighters were out on Jet Skis trying to save someone at the exact spot I had crossed earlier in the morning. I was told to leave. My alternate route along the Pearblossom Hwy was better but it was flooded as well. Took hours to get home

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I started coming down with a cold on Friday. Since I still had alot of bike maintenence to do as of Saturday and wasn't feeling well anyway, and on top of that it was hella pouring, I figured it would be better for me to lay low and take it easy, especially since the UEA enduro and DMC hare & hound are this weekend and next weekend ... both D-37 enduro point-paying events. I actually stayed home on Monday too .. sick day. I turned 35 on Sunday, maybe I just had the blues.

Last edited:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
the Eel said:
I turned 35 on Sunday, maybe I just the blues.

Happy birthday.......

puss :joke: Just kidding

I hear ya, my wife was sick for like a month straight, everytime she started getting better, she got worse again after she went running.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Happy Belated Birthday Eelio!!

Nice reports all. Holeshot, you are the king of crashing. Not that you do it the most, but that you do it with such <i>style</i>. 7 & a wake up here! I should be home for Anahiem III and the Superbowl. Sounds like the desert has been prepped nicely for a good spring. Trrrrr-action. Can't wait to see y'all. Not that I'd ever get rid of the GG, cause I love it waayy too much, but I know I need a 300 - nothing beats the power/weight combo, but could you see me on a CRF450? Hmmmm...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom