Defending the 2-strokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
I Refuse to let them ban 2-strokes here In Mass. I like 4-strokes too but there is nothing quite like a 2-stroke. Tried to spread the word to the motorcycle USA forum but to my surprise only bout 3 people answered and were totally with the idea of banning 2-strokes.

FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
read about 2-strokes not being produced by 2006 on this forum so I called my buddy at honda and he said oh yeah its happening. DAMM I grew up on 2-strokes that SUCKS

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I dont think they will ban them. I think the big guys will stop putting money towards their drvelopment. We will be looking at riding "new" bikes that are behind the times as much as the KX 500. Great bikes, but out of date.

I love the two strokes. Nothing quite like being able to change a piston in 1 hour.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
So true. Ease of maintenance does it for me.

FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
seems everyone is talking about the 4-stroke 250's now which is cool but I just love the snappy reaction of the throttle on my 2-stroker.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
I'm glad someone brought up this thread...The epa is a blood sucking organization...

The one thing about 4 strokes is that it takes a full 250cc's to be competitive with 125cc two strokes...All you hear from the commentators when you're watching races is "how powerful the 4 stroke is" instead of correctly saying the power of extra cc's or the 250....It seems like the epa has infiltrated the motorcycle media and has instructed commentators to push the 4 stroke with carefully selected words or risk losing their jobs.

Another thing that I've noticed is that the big 450 4 strokes seem to be at a disadvantage in the REAL 250 class, especially when it comes to supercross....

I heard that James Stewart has chosen NOT to ride Kawasaki's 4 stroke next year...In the nationals this year he got a major holeshot and after the race he said "I don't know what the big deal is about the 4 stroke because the 2 stoke is really good" or something to that nature...He earned some major respect from me when I heard represent the 2 stroke.

Actually, it would be cool to continue with both...2 strokes can make huge power with a small capacity...The 4 stroke is complicated and it will be very hard for them to extract 2 stroke type power outputs...For example, a 125cc 4 stroke being able to equal a 125cc two stroke is going to be hard to do because right now it takes a full 250cc 4 stroke to equal a 125cc..I don't ever see it hapening...Not for a long time.

4 stroke handling is horrible when compared with a 2 stroke...They feel big and heavy and push the front end or stand up in turns.

I like them both but there is a need for continued development of 2 strokes...

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
One other thing has to be the weight. The top 250 two strokes weigh about the same as the top 250 4 strokes. The 2 stroke has 15 more hp!

Imagine how the talk would be if the 2 stroke was being introduced?

This doen not even mention the noise factor. Tests be dammed. The 4 strokes that run well are noisy and irritating.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
If the consumers keep purchasing 4 strokes and the sales show thumpers are out selling the 2 strokes the manufactures are going to put the R+D into 4 strokes. Having mx 4 strokes in production the manufactures are making a killing on parts alone. This whole weight savings crap to compete with 2 strokes, the consumer is going to pay for it,these bikes are becoming disposable. It is pretty simple, more mechanical parts equals better chance of mechanical failure,especially making these parts lighter and lighter!!!!!!!! How do they figure mx 4 strokes are easier to maintain than 2 strokes. Oil filters,dropping 2 oils on the crf,and 1 on the yzf but I would drop the yzf more frequent!!!!!! Valves,cam, hot start, automatic decompression,accelarator pump,etc. Take away the 2 strokes and what next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jarda

Apr 22, 2002
Bigred455 you are right!, 4stroke has more parts and needs more service! This is the reason why manufacturers/businessmens prefering 4 strokes. More parts costs additional money, makes more failures -> then you have to buy a new parts (money) and make an additional service (money). Racing is not about sport but about money! And decisions about money are making businessmens, not sportsmens.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I hate to say it boys but even th FIM is along with it, I am a trials rider and they are talk'n bout 4 pumper trial bikes and in an extreme case banning 2 smokes from FIM competion, It is all up in the air though but some of the trials manufactures are producing developeing 4 strokes

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
I thinks it's already been said but we are are own worst enemy..... We keep buying more 4 strokes than two strokes than the MFG's will make them the priority. The Honda CRF450 is the #1 selling bike..... Where are the development $$$'s going. The CRF250 is getting tons of hype.... We are the owns buying them....

I have never ridden a 4 stroke but I am definitly concerned that I won't be able to sell my current bike.

Just my $0.02...

Steven

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
whitesands im glad someone else has been noticing the way the comantators always talk about how the 4-stroke has soooo much more horsepower. I got so pissed of at david bailey and todd harris saying it so many times i scream profanity at my television. When a 4-stroke gets the holeshot they say its the horspower, when a 2-stroke get it, they say it was pure determination! just to let you guys know k-dubs 450 has 55hp, RCs has almost 60. I have seen a 125or250 pull a 250f or 450f so many times and noone says anything? Remember the 1st moto at washugol, james stewart was going head to head with brock sellards 250f and stewart was starting to pull ahead of him and david bailey said james cut him off, and sellards could't put that extra horsepower to use!!!! Also at red bud, ezra lusk and tim ferry came out of a corner and both of them were full throttle to the first turn, and lusk was pulling him! bailey said nothing, WTF.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Todd, I think the 4 strokes have the horsepower....as they should. They are darn near twice the size!

I have ridden them and the power is there, but it is easy to forget that they need twice the displacement to be competative.

I cannot say I would never own wan or want to own one. The noise issue is just so bothersome to me. I know I can ride my YZ 250 by my neighbors and they barely notice. When my step-sons WR426 goes by them, they get mad.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I think the writing is on the wall for two strokes but...
I just turned 30 and got a YZ125 to run in the 30+ class! Fight the power!!!

ray r

Sep 7, 2003
ease of maintenance , power to weight , dont have to be a millionaire to rebuild it, nothing like the smell of 2 stroke in the morning , long live the 2 smoke , in my world any way ,

WhKnuckle

May 14, 2003
If you're a Vet, go out immediately and buy a CR500AF - and laugh at anyone who calls a 2 stroke "outdated".

I let a guy who has a YZ450F ride my 500 and he came back babbling like a kid. "So much power, so easy to ride, so light, so flickable, so SWEEEEEET". I think he'd have swapped his bike for mine and thrown his truck in so I could haul it.

They'll be working on 4 strokes for a LOOOOONG time before they build one that light, that powerful, that reliable with that low of a CG. There's nothing wrong with 4 strokes except they are about 10 years behind that bike.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I also hate the noise. That is a big factor as to why I won't buy one at this time.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
In the latest Dirt Rider, there is an article where they mention that there seems to be enough riders that switched to 4-strokes going back to 2-strokes to make the companys notice. And a couple have said they will continue with R&D on 2-strokes.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I imagine we will see over the next few years. If someone makes a 4 stroke for the 80 class....

Alex04

Apr 10, 2002
The 2 stroke has way more power everyone thinks the 4strokes are great for everything but at the last 2 district 36 hare scrambles it was wet and slick and my 03 RM250 ran circles around them and on the track my RM leaves 450s in its dust! I plan on riding a 2 stroke untill the epa takes it out of my cold dead hands!!!!!!!!!

FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
YEAH! people we know what we like quick snappy bikes that we enjoy working on. 4-strokes make the competition more lively and different but my CR250 is one of the few things I've ever really cared abount in my life. And what about those comentators! Its like they are counting their money as they call the races, I think whitesands hit the nail on the head. keep Flyin people!

beefydog

Nov 7, 2003
The first bike I rode was a 2-stroke, and all I've ever owned have been 2. The EPA crap in 06, as far as I know doesnt ban the manufacture of two strokes it just forces them to pass emissions tests that they can't. Desperate snowmobile companys have developed ways of making it possible though, by basically making a 2-stroke more complicated that a 4. I don't know how long manufacturs(sp?) will be allowed to build wring-dings for closed course racing only, is that ended in 06 to? I know I have said this before but this is the fault of recreational snowmobilers. Ever see one go by? Alwase a ploom of smoke, alwase running rich, making so much polution. My neighbor bought a YZ250FFFF early this sping, and has been riding all year, never touched anything, never even taken out the spark plug! Only cleans the airfilter and changes the oil, and the freakin this still goes. Lazy sob, I'v been hoping that somthing will die on it, but it never does. I love the sound a 125, or 80cc drillin by at 12,000RPM, and waiting for the wind to carry that sweet bean oil smell to your nose. I think some of the pros are against the thumpers, for the same reason as most of us, because all their life theyve been riding twostrokes, and the thought of change is threatening. Anyone I'v asked who has a thumper likes it, but they usually dont say it's better that a 2, just they like it more.
I hate the clankity klack noise of the engine, the painfull loudness, and the bitter nastly smell. But it the end, maby 20 years from now when we still have clean water and wildlife, we will understand what we dont now.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I'm really close to buying a YZ250F right now. The price is killing me and the dealer will give me a YZ125 for next to nothing. It's a quandary I could do without. I wish it was 1977 again and I was 17 again, and, and... I'm gonna keep my 1997 YZ125 and 2001 CR125, probably forever, hell maybe someday they be museum pieces, or I can fire up the CR when I'm 90 and the neighbors kid is flying by on his laser saucer with his cryogenic phased induction motor. Seroiusly though, I love the smell of 2-stroke in the morning and WILL keep my 125s. I may get the 4-stroke though and join the ranks of the other lemmings jumping off the cliff. I spoil my two 20 y/o college boys and the YZ250F is more their idea than mine. This may be last time I get to spoil the little college brats and for me (poor) I want to do it right. No I don't want to think about repairs, but as the old saying goes, "you play, you pay". Oh yea, on my sons last race he smoked the lower end on the YZ125. Need a new crank since the plastic "stuffers" melted, what a load of Yamaha propietary crap!!! Bottom line: If they stop pro. in 06 allow current 2-strokes to be ridden anywhere until they just naturally go away - when we are dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom