Difference Between Pro Circuit and FMF

BB007

Apr 4, 2002
Can anybody tell me if there is a difference between the Pro Circuit pipe and the two FMF pipes deseret and woods. I have a 99 kdx 200 and I have the pro circuit on it. I know this pipe really rips but I would like to have more down low torque for tight trail riding. I have the Fredette torque ring installed and it helps a bit but that's about all. I wonder if I purchased the FMF woods pipe if it would give me more down low power or end up being more like the Pro Circuit pipe I already have installed. Thanks for the info guy I want to be wise about how I spend my hard earned dollars.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I don't think you will be able to tell much difference between your PC and the FMF woods pipe. I have run both and could not feel any difference. The FMF desert pipe I really like though since my speed in the woods has picked up alot. Add about 500rpm before the pipe hits for the desert pipe. A torque ring may bring that close to the woods pipe but I don't know since I haven't tried one.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
If I recall Pro Circuit has made the Platinum pipe (rev) for some time and recently started making the Platinum II pipe (torque). I only have experience with the FMF -30 (rev or desert) pipe and the FMF -35 (torque or woods) pipe since I own both for my KDX200H1 ('95).

The -30 requires riding the bike more like a 125 motocrosser and has a definite 'hit' in the midrange when it starts to make power. It's a little light on the bottom end but makes great top end power. If you like riding hard and fast all of the time the -30 is for you. The torque ring with the -30 just drops the power band 200 to 300 RPMs but doesn't change its character at all. The -35 has a little better bottom end than the -30 and no 'hit'. The top end is a little softer but revs out close to the same as the -30. As a matter of fact the -35 will out rev the -30 if you're using the torque ring with the -30. I much prefer the -35 because while you can still rev the bike and ride it very aggressively, you can also slow down and enjoy your ride without worrying about falling off the power band or dealing with a 'hit' when you least expect it.

It's important to pay attention to jetting when you use these pipes because proper jetting will bring out the different character of these pipes and maximize their performance. I believe the -35 requires a leaner main jet than the -30 (if I'm remembering right), And they both need to be run leaner than the stock pipe.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Rhodester is on it for the FMF pipes! If you have the original Platinum pipe then you are closer to the 30 than the 35. I was using the Platinum II on my tests. If this is the case them you should definately try the 35 (Woods pipe) and you should notice a definate bottom end gain in the lower R's.

BB007

Apr 4, 2002
Guys, thanks for all of the info. It sounds like I may just have to order myself an FMF Woods pipe. I did rejet from a 160 to a 155 when I got the bike used. I can't remember if I changed the pilot jet though but I think I went a little leaner on that one too. I really don't have any complaints about this bike, great bike. When we ride the tight trails over in Pa. there are too many rocks and tight turns. I'm 200# and around 6' tall. I think a little big for this bike but I can keep up with the KTM 400s I ride with and they don't like it. With the PC pipe it's a dead even drag race. When we get into the woods you have to be on top of every shift or the KTMs can get away a bit coming out of a corner. I guess it just makes me try harder for team green. I did the gold valves in the forks and boy did they make a difference! One more thing, I called about a Power Now valve for my carb and they don't make one for the KDX 200, too bad.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Check out the RB carb mod www.rb-designs.com/kdx200-220.htm I think they have what you want. It's all custom work done to your carb.They turn them around in about 3 days...so you could have it back within a week.

Did you do the gold valves yourself? Was it an easy operation?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…