Dan00ss

May 30, 2007
Hey guys I ride a 1998 KDX220. I've had it for about 7 years, It is in great mechanical shape, and has a few minor mods done to it.... ever since i have owned it, it has been very difficult to start after it had been sitting for a while, but after i get it started it will fire up first try every time.
It has great spark, choke is functional, everything seems to be fine.

Is this typical with KDXs, is there anything that i can do to make it easier, or any specific tricks to get it started.

Thanks,
Dan

Crashtheline

May 5, 2007
Neutral, have the choke on, NO gas, rock it a bit to mix the oil and gas in the tank better, then kick at it, once started play with the gas to keep from stalling then let it warm up.

From warmed up: No choke, Neutral, and some gas.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
there are a heap of reason for this type of problem, most of them tune related e.g compression,spark plug condtion,vacum leaks, choke working?,jetting etc..
you need to make sure these are ok first. but one reason that is common on older bikes and easily overlooked is carb flooding due to worn needle valve and seat etc.. fuel tends to pool in the crankcase when bikes not used and then sometimes causes fouled plugs or an over rich condtion on startup.
try drain the fuel bowl when bike is stored and make sure fuel tap doesnt leak when in off position. when finished riding for the day you can turn fuel off while bike is still idling until the revs start to drop slightly then turn bike off. this helps clear crankcase of fuel/oil mix.
good luck with your problem.

iamthecowboy

May 23, 2007
Crashtheline said:
Neutral, have the choke on, NO gas, rock it a bit to mix the oil and gas in the tank better, then kick at it, once started play with the gas to keep from stalling then let it warm up.

From warmed up: No choke, Neutral, and some gas.

The gas and oil will never separate. Unless you initially mixed the oil and gas in the tank. It won't hurt you to rock the bike, but it isn't really doing anything. How long was the bike sitting? Gas does go bad after a while. Run the gas out of the carb if the bike will be sitting, or drain the gas before starting it. I am guessing the issue is related to the gas pooling in the crankcase as steve states. You can verify this by looking at the plug when it won't start to see if it is wet. I had a snowmobile that was like that. Just my 2cents worth!

Dan00ss

May 30, 2007
I ride the bike about every other weekend, so it is not sitting too long. It has great compression, spark, no vacuum leaks. It has consistently done this since I've owned it, no matter how long it has sat (usually after a day or two it will start fine).

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
Mine does the same thing and its due for rings. worn rings are cold plus premix has drained and or evaporated over time so compresion is not at its best thus making the engine hard to start. reason it will start first kick or two after a short period .

old school trick to getting one more race out of the top end is adding more oil to the premix to gain compression and lean the bike out.

3Wheelerdude

Nov 20, 2006
Had the same problem with my kdx200. A friend showed me that he tilts the bike down on the carb side, and I mean 8 inches from the ground, before he starts his rm250.
I tried it yesterday on my hard starting kdx and it fired right up. Give it a shot.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
I get the same problem if I drain the bowl. Leaning it helps prime the fuel system. I agree Try it. I bet it works.

Top Bottom