dcatt

Dec 12, 2000
Went riding last weekend, KDX ran fine, then all of a sudden it revved up and died, like when it runs out of gas. Knew it wasn't out , so kicked it and it started up went down the road fast, and it did it again. Removed the plug , looked fine, pulled the carb, and there was brown sandy dirt in the bowl. Drained the tank and rinsed it out with gas, it was completely clean, looked at the filter, it was a little dirty, on the bottom, but not bad. My question is, is it possible for the carb to suck in dirt through the vent hoses and if so what do any of you suggest, to keep this from happening again. Did ride through several mud holes that day, but nothing over 8-10 inches deep.
Thanks

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Sounds like your filter isn't sealing good. I'd check the bottom of the filter where it squeezes up against the airbox (feel around in there to see if you're getting it lined up properly and there aren't any gaps). I'd also check the boot that connects the carb to the airbox. Make sure it isn't loose or anything. I'm pretty sure the vent hoses can't pull anything up into them, someone will correct me if I'm wrong. It sounds like you're having a seal problem somewhere between the carb and the filter.

dcatt

Dec 12, 2000
Thanks, I wil look into that. I have seen where some people use grease around the filter to seal it better also. One person told me that if the dirt came through the filter it would go directly into the cylinder and not into the bowl, but I don't know.
Thanks Jboomer for the info.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Greasing the air filter seal is good for a lot of reasons, but I doubt the air filter has anything to do with this problem. Think about it. Even assuming your air filter is passing dirt. How's it going to end up in the float bowl? It'd pretty much have to travel backward down through the main or pilot jet. An unlikely occurrence. If there's dirt in the float bowel it's either coming in with the fuel, or was sucked up a vent line.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I didn't believe it was possible to suck dirt into the bowl from the vent hoses until it happened to me. My bike didn't die, it ran wide open when the dirt got sucked up through the main jet and, i'm guessing, stuck between the slide to the carb body.

After this rather terrifying experience, I took the carb apart and the bowl had dirt on the bottom with more oozing in from top vent hose inlets.

I've seen a mini-filter like device that mounts inside a bike's airbox and the vent hoses connect to this it. Sorry I can't remember where I saw it.

derekk87

May 29, 2002
P.C. Racing makes it, you mount a little box that looks like a dental retainer case in your airbox and run your vent hoses to it. Im pretty sure Dennis Kirk carries them.

Top Bottom