DirtWeek Location Helmet Cam Video

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Couple of things.
1) LTM is a MOTOCROSS Track, 2 miles+ long. (I said M o t o c r o s s) Fast laps are in the 2:20 range. No it's not a SX track. Some of us prefer speed and passing to jumping. When was the last time you pinned 4th? You are welcome to take a shot at that down hill triple however :scream: . There are elevation changes, a lot actually, video flatens everything out.

2) Pixels are from compression. One lap, pure digital, uncompressed is 600+ megs. That's high res and 16 bit stereo sound. What you see (high res version) is compressed to 6 meg for web delivery.

3) The video from that helmet cam, hooked into a Sony TRV-30 Mini-DV played on a big screen is AWESOME :). Very impressive.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
4th gear pinned, whats that?:confused: The highest speed I get at the local track is 3rd gear half throttle. And to boot that is it clear a 70 foot supercross style double!:scream: I am sure I would love the track if there were no age regulations to go by yourself!!!!!:p

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I am game on that Okie! I promise I won't bounce it off a tree!

Dash Riprock

Jul 13, 2000
ooohh, aaahh.

I thought it was cool when in the first video about half way through, you hit a jump, and then looked to your right. The audio seems pretty good too, I could hear the braking bumps. I can't stop watching them, I love that bike. Okie, are you running stock gearing?

I really wish I was able to make the dirtweek's. :( That track looks so much fun.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Running a 50, but will go back to stock for LTM, I usually run a much tighter track.

Still working on the mic location, and will have to put some foam on it, the footage had the mic inside the helmet under some padding... still too loud.

Got to get it to the point that you'll be able to hear thump yelling at me: "pin it sally"

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
I would try divx, its compresses it to a super small size without losing all of the quality...its awesome. The reason why dirtbike videos like that don't look so good usually is because all the colors are basically the same so the compressor goes crazy and uses the same few colors for everything and makes it hard to distinguish a jump from a straight away and what not. Well at least that's what I think.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Very kewl!

I think AJ may have started his brake slide a lil early. ;)

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
LOL..:)
Funny stuff!!

KTMguy..
okie just happened to catch me crashing the ONLY two times ive crashed all year!
but its all good..i was laughing at the time ask him!
and naw the jump dint freak me out --- i jumped it lots of times right before Okie filmed that crash...
but your right !!
I rebounded a lil and was debating wether i could make the corner..
decided i wasnt 100% sure and the penalty was to hit trees if i dint make the corner ..!! the downhill isnt steep but WAY steeper than the video implies... So i just bailed and let the bike hit the trees instead! :)

not making excuses here ! i crashed and it is funny ! even to me who is still messin a LOT o skin ..LOL

B

biglou

Couple of questions:

1) Did you mount the cam on the side of your helmet, on the face guard?
2) I'm bringing mine to DirtWeek also. Will there be an outlet on site for recharging batteries?
3) I'm assuming you'll take footage from all who have it to make the "DirtWeek 2001" DVD? What about a stills gallery also?

techman

Feb 18, 2000
Hey Okiewan,
Welcome to the world of helmet camming! My only warning: it can be addictive, because of those moments that always seem to occur rarely but you hate to miss ("If only I had the camera on today, I would have got that great save/crash/near miss/huge jump/guy endoing/etc..."). I've been helmet camming for about two years and get some pretty good nuggets. I hope to switch to a miniDV cam/vtr soon, I'm currently on a video 8 deck that's ok but it goes 2 hours at a go (battery and tape) which is good for trail rides.

Ron in Socal on thumpertalk and another guy in Calgary did some video and posting and they used another codec that was quite good, I believe Indeo Video. Might help the pixellation.

techman

techman

Feb 18, 2000
The Indeo codec they used was a download version and was 320x240 I think or close to that (ie half res). I think you could still find links to their stuff posted via archives at thumpertalk. By the way, your clips want to download as text for me, and I can't convince the browser to save them so I can find something that will play them, except for one that did come through and play very small, but could not be saved. Do I have to go to the Windows Media dark side? This machine has both QT and Winmedia, and I told the Winmedia setting to save the file, still won't.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
My wife just got me a helmet cam from helmetcamera.com, extreme version 380 pixels. I have some questions to ask.
1. they offer a 480 model for additional money, is that needed? they state you only need it if you wish to produce movies, ie compressing files to dvd's.....is it needed for an extra $100?
2. they recommended a Sony DCR-TRV 350 camera... I will purchase a camera and wanted to know what you guys are running, film? digital sticks? whatever.
Let me know if possible.
Thanks.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
HOLY CRAP!!! I hate when these old threads get brought back to the front! I read it 10 times trying to figure out if why Okie decided to have DW at Casey again this year!

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
zcookie,

I have their 380 resolution camera and it produces perfectly clear video. I havent seen 480 footage so i cant say if its worth the extra bucks. I run mine off a Sony DRC-TRV22 MiniDV camcorder. It works great except i bought the remote controller that runs thru the LANC. I cant get this to work when using the helmet camera. It keeps trying to record the footage to the memory stick instead of the tape. It works fine if i'm only using the camcorder by itself. If anyone knows how to get the controller to work while in VCR mode PLEASE let me know, thanks.

Top Bottom