Do I have a clutch problem?

D_Moen

May 7, 2007
Last time out on my 220 I noticed that while in gear, with the clutch lever pulled back all of the way, there was a significant amount of drag at the rear wheel. I noticed this while putting the bike in the back of the truck at the end of the day. The bike would not roll while in gear with the engine off, and the clutch pulled. I though I just needed to adjust the cable, but I have run the adjustment far enough out that the clutch now slips while riding, but I still have this drag, like the clutch is not fully disengaging when I pull the lever. What could be wrong?

Thanks for any ideas you may have!

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
how mich time is on the clutch/basket? check your basket "fingers" for notching and check the steel plates for warpage. When you ride, are you heavy on the clutch?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Lay the bike over on its side, pull the clutch cover, and look for notching in the basket. If you have notching, you have a clutch problem. If you don't, you don't likely have a clutch problem. Warped plates are the other possibility. Make sure the clutch lever freeplay is properly adjusted.

There will be some more resistnace while rolling with the bike in gear and clutch disengaged vs. in neutral. How much depends on the bike and a lot of times the viscosity of the oil. My general rule of thumb is that if you can start the bike in gear or it doesn't try to roll forward while in gear, you're clutch is fine.

D_Moen

May 7, 2007
I can start in gear, and it doesn't creep if I have it in gear with the clutch pulled. Yesterday after lunch, I was trying to figure out what was going on, rocking the bike back and forth with the clutch pulled and it bump started! It did not try to run away on me though. I was suprised to say the least!

Top Bottom