do you really think from 2008 no more 2 strokes?

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Actually, the fact that there are not that many two-stroke motorcycles shouldn't give us much comfort. The fact is that we are visible and vulnerable. It drives the greens nuts to see and hear off-road vehicles on God's green Earth. And we are vulnerable precisely because there are not that many of us, i.e. little political clout.

Look at helmet laws. Logic would dictate that if you really wanted to reduce the number of head injuries in motor vehicles you would require automobile drivers to wear helmets. The vast majority of head injuries in traffic accidents occur in automobiles. Given the relatively few motorcycles on the road, requiring helmets was not calculated to make a big difference in death rates from head injuries. But automobile drivers are not going to sit still for helmet laws, even though such laws would save thousands of lives every year. So the lawmakers targeted a visible, vulnerable minority--motorcyclists.

The same thing is likely to happen with two-stroke motorcycles, and eventually with all off-road motorcycles. I really doubt that it will be possible to ride off-road in this country in 30 to 40 years. I plan to enjoy it while I can.

DR4Ztrokes

Aug 16, 2001
Good artical on EPA's intentions at:
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=2547

Looks like EPA plans to allow for 2-stroke "off-road competition-only machines" after 2005. I suppose the issue will get down to whether it's economical for manufacturers to continue producing them. After watching the large number of YZ250Fs sold this past year the other companies are already seeing how buyers are voting. I believe speeding up better 4-stroke development may have been behind the recent Kawasaki and Suzuki alliance.

motor86

Dec 25, 1999
I don't think that emissions will play a part in the demise of the two stroke. Remember that necessity is the mother of invention? People will want two strokes, and for that reason, new technology will be developed and put to use on two strokes to cut emissions. I am sure it is already in development. The Rev bike will have fuel injection, and that means it is possible. Now they just need to clean up the system.

I think the only places to ride will end up being privately owned mx tracks. The public riding places will probably all be closed to dirt bikes in the years to come. That will be the real ban.

Just my opinion

KnobShredder

Dec 1, 2000
I HOPE THEY NEVER STOP BUILDING 2 STROKES. FOUR STROKES ARE A FAD AND WILL NOT LAST

Originally posted by bwalker

Thats what people said about four strokes in the late sixties when two strokes were replacing BSA's and Triumphs.

4 stroke dirtbike's in the 60's became extinct through natural selection, unlike regulations that would make 2stroke's extinct.

Only through a huge displacement advantage brought on by regulations have 4stroke's been able to make a comeback. A YZ250F cannot compete with a YZ250

Top Bottom