Does anyone use a generator when they ride?

Sep 15, 2004
I bought a new generator today for my enclosed trailer to run a fan and a/c at the track. :laugh: Got a sweet deal on a new Honda eu3000is they gave it to me for $1600 otd. could'nt pass this one up! I cant belive how quiet it runs. My question is does anyone else use a generator when they ride? I wanted to get the queitest one I could afford, so not to urk people near me.Does it bother those around you?Any one else have this generator?Thanks

Sep 15, 2004
oh i also ordered a carrier roof top low profile a/c unit 13,500 btu.My trailer is 7x14. will this be sufficent to cool it down. no insulation though. I was thinking of getting some foam insulation at home depot to glue to the roof in between the hat channels. Any one done this or is there a better idea??

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
The only thing I hate about generators is when some a$$ will put his on the back side of his rig, right next to mine.. So he doesn't have to hear it, but it's right under my nose all day.

It tends to get shut off a lot that way...

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I run the same generator to provide power to our motorhome at the track. Can't imagine someone having a problem with the noise output of that generator. Our race series has a no generator rule after 11 pm unless it's one of 3 or 4 quiet generators on the approved list which this model is.

Sep 15, 2004
thanks i am hoping this wont annoy those around me it runs between 51-57 decibels.a normal generator runs between 80-90 db's.So this is real quiet for a generator.I did alot of research online before i chose this one.I could not find a quieter generator.........and its a Honda!!!!Looks real nice next to my cr250..lol. Chilli does this generator have any problems running your a/c?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
That is a great generator and if Chili doesn't lock it down one of these trips it just might make a trip to Wisconsin. I wish I could afford one but right now with medical bills it will be awhile.
Definitely put some foam insulation on the inside but if your trailer is dark exterior you might consider painting the roof a lighter color also.

A couple weeks ago we had a motorhome next to us that kept firing up his generator all night (it was a great night mid 50s) and it in turn would set off our CO alarm. Since we were sitting by the campfire I opened the windows right next to his bed and let him listen to the alarm until he finally got a clue. He came outside to see what the noise was and when I told him luckily he was smart enough not to start it up again

Sep 15, 2004
Thanks for the replies...btw my trailer is white. The salesman tried to sell me a black trailer , but i figured it would be too hot. It also has a silver galvalume roof, so i am hoping it will reflect alot of the sunlight.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
yankeefan4life72 said:
Chilli does this generator have any problems running your a/c?

I will run the AC and the microwave, toaster or coffemaker at the same time. If you try to start the AC while the microwave or coffemaker is running it will kick the overload due to the inital demand to start the compressor. As long as the AC is already running the secondary device is fine.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
On insulating the trailer...
At Home Depot they have a foam board with an aluminum skin. This board does a great job if installed properly.
The stuff is super easy to use, as you just score one side with a knife and a straight edge, and then just break the board at the knife mark. It breaks off clean, and can then be glued with 3M spray stuff.
Cut it to fit perfectly the sections of your trailer.

I used it on my garage door on the inside. I cut it to fit the rectangles that make up the door, and it works great. It's very light and the door lifts the extra weight no problem. (it's super light stuff)
Made a BIG difference.
And no fiberglass flyng around to make you itch.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
No one will complain about THAT generator noise, people talking quietly are more of a distraction. Now my generator 69db will bother people closer then 10-12 feet, as sound diminishes with the square of the distance. But even with that no one seems to be bothered by it( I try hard to position it in a considerate place) Now a 75-79db one will gather a lot of complaints.

Freeway at 50 ft -- 76 dB

Vacuum cleaner -- 70 dB

Air Conditioner Unit at 100ft -- 60 dB

Normal Conversation -- 60db

Honda EU2000i Generator at full load -- 59 dB

Honda EU2000i Generator at 1/4 load -- 53 dB

If your wanting more info try this link for dry camping guide, it a good place to start.

http://www.macandchris.com/IntroToDryCamping.htm

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i used to didn't often run my generator because of the noise. now that everyone is riding four strokes, you can't even hear it run.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
IndyYZ85 said:
The only thing I hate about generators is when some a$$ will put his on the back side of his rig, right next to mine.. So he doesn't have to hear it, but it's right under my nose all day.

It tends to get shut off a lot that way...
Yer an ornery bugger, ain'tcha? :nod:

Sep 15, 2004
Thanks for all the replies guys...i am super happy with the generator!!I did insulate the ceiling today with foam board and it made a big,big difference.I am going to put luan over the insulated ceiling tommorrow.My a/c unit is on the way.I will take pics when it is all done.I used the generator at a job site today in D.C. and some one walked by and asked how i was getting power on the street.(yes it is that quiet!!!!)

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Tell me how you attached the insulation? I have an old Motorhome I take out riding. When were at the dunes it heats up past the cooling capacity of both roof mount a/c units.

Sep 15, 2004
I used some 3m adhesive spray to attach the insulation.I would reccommend using some liquid nails though.the spray works but not that well .....hence the reason i am putting luan over the insulation, to hold it up.I also have little ones...i am sure they would pick at the insulation and it would look cleaner with the luan.if you decide to put the luan in i would buy styrofoam insulation.measure the thickness of the hat channel, cut to fit in between and then put anthor 1" of insulation over all of it before doing the luan.I will have 2" of insulation on my ceiling.It makes a world of difference.

Sep 15, 2004
went riding yesterday and used the generator.....I could not even hear it inside the trailer.The insulation made a big difference inside the trailer. My a/c unit will be here tommorrow, so i just used a fan on sat.It was real hot here about 95 with high humidity.Even the fan helped quite a bit. I was very shocked and pleased with the insulation and generator!!!

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
If you feel motivated, pulling out the plywood inner walls and insulating those as well will also make a big difference. My 7x16 was done that way and the A/C unit on the roof can turn that thing into a meat locker in no time as a result. ;)

Sep 15, 2004
the a/c came today and i installed it in no time.Man what a difference!!!it was in the mid 90's when i was putting it in.I turned it on and waited 20 min. , went inside and it was great.I was thinking about insullating the walls too, maybe later.That a/c blows real cold and so far so good.

Top Bottom