jimboe

Nov 29, 2002
I recently bought a street-legal XR600 to explore the logging roads of So Oregon. It's a joy to slide around and wheelie, but, obviously, a beast on technical trails. The safe and logical thing, I told my wife, is to buy another bike better suited for trail riding.

After reading the postings on this site I get the impression that a 250 MXer would be too much and too stiff for my 140 lb, 47-yr-old body. The XR250, too underpowered for my level of play. That leaves the WR250F (so much $$$ and screaming RPM), the WR & KTM 400s($$$$, not that much lighter than my XR), the KTM 200/300EXC ($$$, stiff), and the sleeper KDX200/220.

My 1st question is do the KDXs slide around and wheelie very well, without slipping the clutch and yanking on the bars with all your might? My next question is, would any of you be willing to let me demo your bike? I'll let you ride the "Beast." Thanks, Jimbo.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
In stock form, the KDX is the ultimate definition of fun trail bike. From there, you can easily modify to make it just about as intense as you can hold onto.

Post in the JustKDX forum - I know at least 3 regulars from Oregon you may be able to hook up with.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
jimboe -

i too ride an XR600 and you are right about it being a heavy pig on slow technical single track.

however, it is a mistake to think it is purely a wieght issue. yes the 600 is heavy, and the KTM 450's and 520's might be just a bit lighter, but the XR FEELS heavier because so much it its wieght is carried on the front wheel.

try out some other bikes and forget about what the scale says. it can be misleading.

also, a KDX would make a fine companion to your XR.

jeremiah

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom