draining crankcase deposits and bike test question

Mar 1, 2005
one of my friends told me i should be draining the crankcase deposits out like every 22 hrs or so.anybody know anything about this and where would the drain bolt be located?oh its on a 01 cr125.also i am lookin for a review of my bike back from when it was new, actually looking to find one of the mx mags when it did the 125 shootout that year to see how it stacks up against the other 125s from 01.i've looked but cant seem to find one.anybody know where i could at least read a test on my bike?

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
There is no such thing as a crank case drain nor are there any deposits you'd want to drain if there were such a thing. Perhaps your frind ment the transmission oil and drain. The transmission drain plug is on the botom of the engine and should require a 14mm socket. I normally change transmission oil every race or every other trail ride. You can use motor oil (10w-40), bike specific gear oil or ATF (I use Dexron III ATF myself).

There is a rubber fill plug on the right side of the engine and the oil capacity is cast into the right side case as well.

Don't worry about whatever the mags said about the bike, their opinion is typicaly not very objective and even if it were it would have very little bearing on your specific needs, conditions, perferences etc. You can be certain that the bike is far more capable than any non-pro level rider. The general consensus is that your CR was slightly behind the others in the engine department, but had better handling, suspension and brakes than the rest.

You should also oil the chain, clean and oil the air filter (only use oil designed for dirt bike air filters, I recomend bell ray filter oil) every ride or every couple of rides depending on how dirty it gets.

You should change antifreeze about once a season as well.

good luck and have fun.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
Some of the old 2t engines ( villiers etc ) did have crankcase drain bolts, but this was back in the dark ages when the oil used wasn't quite the same, and I haven't seen such a bolt on any modern engine. Mind you, I have some of these old engines, and they still work like new 50 years after they were built !

Mar 1, 2005
thanks for all the replies. yes the drain i was asking about would be the one for draining the exhaust deposits from the crankcase.is there any real significance to doing this? i've never really heard of it being done either.thanks again

Top Bottom