oil type and compression test results

Mar 1, 2005
compression test results

i forgot to add with this question that my head has been shaved and been converted to a flat top piston dont know if this would make my results worse or not any advice would be appreciated sorry about the mishap, cant believe i forgot to add this info. i did a compression test on my 01 cr125 and got around 156 psi is this ok? i know looking through the ports to check the piston is not the way to check it since you cant see the whole thing but what i could see there were no scuffs or cracks on either intake or exhaust sides just put this in for extra info.

Last edited:

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
as far as compression, yes this is ok. i just tested my cr and it had 150psi cold. and for oil, if thats all you have access to and you want to go riding, then run it. but i really don't think it will hurt your tranny at all. you will only probally feel a difference at the clutch, since the oil won't be so thick, the clutch will drag less.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
156psi sounds a bit low to me, also. If I remember correctly, my 99 RM125 had about 190psi. These readings were on a cold engine and at sea level. Also, a friend's 01 CR125 had about 180psi with a year- old top end.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Not all compression testers read accurately.
The compression should continue building during every kick till about 6-7-10 solid kicks. Hold the throttle wide open too.
Yes, switch from deno to synthetic to deno no probs...

Mar 1, 2005
2 edit forgot info about motor with compression test results question

i forgot to add with this question that my head has been shaved and been converted to a flat top piston dont know if this would make my results worse or not any advice would be appreciated sorry about the mishap, cant believe i forgot to add this info. first question i did a compression test on my 01 cr125 and got around 156 psi is this ok? i know looking through the ports to check the piston not the way to check it since you cant see the whole thing but what i could see there were no scuffs or cracks on either intake or exhaust sides just put this in for extra info.

Mar 1, 2005
cr compression test results and product questions

i have a 2001 cr 125 with a shaved head and i know the motor has been ported. i bought this from a friend last summer and this is the info he gave me but i could defiantly tell looking through the ports the piston has been converted to a flat top style. my results where 156 psi. bike runs fine starts first try everytime since the day i bought it. also what do you guys think about running bel-ray h1r and gear saver? all he used was bel-ray stuff, so i decided to try them to since he said he had great results using them. also how about no-toils filters and oil? i ride in anything from dust, aliitle sand, hardpack and mud and water just depends on the weather what im riding in. they seem to do quite well to me. any advice would be appreciated,sorry i forgot the motor info in my original post.

Top Bottom