Dreaming of a 2t National Series

duke

Oct 9, 1999
125 2T only class

The promoter who puts on MX races at the REM course, located within the Glen Helen venue is now offering a 125 2 stroke only class for beginners and novices. The reason, according to the notice, is to provide families and racers with a less costly alternative to competing with a 250F. Its a sound move. I wonder how many other local promoters are willing to institute a similar class?

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Providing you don't feel obligated to the AMA an alternative for MX is the NMA. To the best of my knowledge they offer 2t only classes. Downside going to a 2t only class is the number of races on the card. Look them up on the web for more info... nice to have another game in town and it would be interesting should some of the local venues elect to follow the NMA rules, if nothing else this might possibly get the AMA to get off their tails and pass the equal displacement rule opposed to waiting a couple of years.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Here in So-Cal AMA MX isnt that strong. There are many other orgainizations that serve as the sanctioning body for MX racing

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
You can always look for "outlaw" tracks as well. The two local ones here will make a class at any race for any group of bikes/riders as long as there are 3 or more.

2 stroke only or age 50+ or whatever.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
the way Frank runs REM is different from most racing, where else can you run first practise at 9am, everyone gets 20 min motos and is on the way home by 2pm.

they double gate the motos, multiple classes (guys the same speed) on the same gate etc. so the program runs twice as fast......

anywhere else it just seems like more classes = more waiting and less riding.

I really miss REM since i moved.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
bclapham said:
they double gate the motos, multiple classes (guys the same speed) on the same gate etc. so the program runs twice as fast......

How does this work? How many different classes can be combined and still have the same speed? Our local tracks double gate, but with A then B in the same class. There's night and day difference between them. Just curious how many different classes you can come up with where they have the same speed.

Thanks.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Very good, two thombs up! The outlaw tracks are nice and springing up like weeds! Organizied racing clubs should start to see the follie of what a few suits making the rules is not profitable for anyone!

im with you fox. the word "2-stroke" is a banned language in the AMA, we need some more 2T only classes.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I know that many racers from the UK not only detected the cost increase in the beginning, but voiced their dissatisfaction with such vigor that it incited the establishment of a 125 2 stroke only series. Hats off to them for their spirit and pragmatism. This same sentimate is beginning to raise its head here in the states, with a few local promoters offering a 125 only class. Most recently, there has been reports of an occasional vet/senior class racers showing up on 125's to race agaisnt all the 450F's.

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
Most people don`t realize that the cost in Europe are extremely high compared with the USA. We have unheard of taxes that effects all parts and services and that is a direct influence on the 2t trend plus the effort it takes to race over here,It`s not as easy as in the states and it tends to give it a very different feel over here.Going to get a lot of comments on this next statement but " Not too many of the riders in the USA could survive or place well in a FULL season over here".they don`t realize how soft they have it there....

duke

Oct 9, 1999
LOL...yea, I can see where you are coming from. I have ventured to Europe and the UK and am aware of the cost of most ventures, both those deemed as neccesities and those falling in the realm of disposable income activities. Lots of hidden costs, and lack of available riding areas makes for the need in being resourcefull. I am also aware that the battle between off road enthusiats and environmentalists is even more heated then here.

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
duke said:
LOL...yea, I can see where you are coming from.
LOL....Can you see I`m coming Bakersfield!!!LOL.....Anyway...We`ve been racing and pounding away over here for 9 years and returning to Cal in August, going to be interesting to see how my son adapts to the SoCal scene.Wonder how they are going to adapt to a KTM 125 rider from Europe... :ohmy:

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
crossroadsmx said:
We offer the 125 (2t) classes and if supported we could also go with the 250 class as well. :yeehaw:
When you say "We" who are "We" and were can people find you? I think riders would make a effort to attend your events if they were aware of them and they were a steady/reliable activity. :cool:

duke

Oct 9, 1999
From Europe to Bakersfield? Culture shock for the boy. But I digress. He should do well on those tracks that mimic European conditions, fast and rough. I assume the Euro tracks have remained that way over the years?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
lynch racing said:
When you say "We" who are "We" and were can people find you? I think riders would make a effort to attend your events if they were aware of them and they were a steady/reliable activity. :cool:
If he's from Mason,Illinoise he has a sweet track!

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
Bakersfield-Europe-Bakersfield to be more exact, coming home so the son can attend high school there....yea, not so much fast but rough! Grooming the tracks here are not a real priority but there are some fine tracks though!!!Rhythm sections (whoops etc...) are pretty much gone now for the safety issues and if there is whoops there is usually a alternate section next to it so you can choose, but they are pretty rough and natural. :coocoo:

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I know as of late, the various European sports bodies, have taken a conservative approach to the design of the tracks, especially those reserved for amatuers. Not a bad position to take really, as a little prudence goes along way. No doubt many will cast harsh judgment citing that the removal of these obstacles takes away from the pureness of the sport, but again we are talking about contestants, most of whom posses only average skill and will always pursue the sport as a hobby.

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
duke said:
No doubt many will cast harsh judgment citing that the removal of these obstacles takes away from the pureness of the sport, .
Pureness of the sport, A whoop section might be a obstacle on a supercross,short,groomed track with no natural obstacles or tough sections ,but they are really not needed on a natural terrain track when nature takes care of it,many of the nice sections far outdue whoops for toughness by the end of the first motos and are completely roughed out. You can practice whoops and set-up your bike for them but a constant changing track is where a smart,experienced rider starts to shine by the 30 min mark in a race.I think the pureness of the sport rest on a riders abilty to adapt to constant changing situations rather than a rehearsed robotic ride on well praticed sections, a case in point was Mike Alessi`s ride in the VM ,here looked good and rode with the top riders here till the halfway point and then just feel apart and missed lines and just rode over his head because his track was gone and eventually went down a couple of times and just rode out of control and took people out, it was kind of disgaceful and then his interveiw afterwards was just a rehearsed glassey eyed speech for his sponsers.Everyones jaw just dropped in amazement,he didn`t even know what country he was in!Jeff just cruised and kept a good tempo and had a repectful finish,He was a class act.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Being 49 has made me more a follower of the outdoor approach then SX. I look at SX as a winter substitute until the real MX season starts again. Is the vet/senior race scene very healthy in Europe?

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
yea,pretty much so,loads of 70`s bikes laying around in peoples barns. My neighbor has a 1979 Maico 400 in mint(dusty,cobwebs) condition I`m looking at, Could of picked up a 1974.5 Ossa 250 Phantom for under 100 bucks!, but I was out of the country at the time, still kicking myself over that,I helped develope that bike with Marty...

duke

Oct 9, 1999
An Ossa for 100 bucks! Yes, some means of self induced punishment is in order. Had a freind who sold his 74 Ossa Desert Phantom for a mere 300 bucks. He was the sole owner and the bike was in great stock condition, complete with colorful owners manual still in the fender pouch. When he found ou that it was much more, he curssed himself for being a sucker...ah well, live and learn. "Marty" as in Marty Moats or Tripes?

Last edited:

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
2T alive, one might be seen in Atlanta

There is a report that there is a 2T alive and it might race! :ohmy: Something about Atlanta... :coocoo:
Is Ryan Hughes going to ride his favorite KTM :p 125????

Top Bottom