vicwolf

Dec 5, 2004
I have just got a KDX200 and took it our for the first time this weekend. Ok, so I was a bit over ambitious and came off inside the first ten minutes but managed to stay on for the rest of the day. I have really enjoyed reading this forum and I'm hoping someone can be generous in helping me out with a tech question. After I stop my bike and turn off the fuel tap, after a short delay, petrol starts to leak badly from the tube running from the bottom of the carb. I know what your thinking, this guy doesn't know a thing, and you'd be pretty right. But I am willing to learn..........thanks in advance for any help offered.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Many of the KDXs "pee" when on the kick stand. Assuming that your needle and seat are in good shape (that's a big assumption) you can cure the problem by running the float height 2 mm lower than the manual specifies (looking at it from the carb being in the upright position). You do have the manual, right? It reads 16 mm from the carb body to the bottom of the float when the needle is leaning on the seat but not compressing the little spring (+ or - 2 mm). Use the + 2mm to set it to 18 mm and you'll by and large fix your problem. The manual calls this raising the float height, but you're actually lowering the fuel level in the carb (that's lowering the float height to me).

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
Shut fuel off and remove fuel line from carb.
Loosen the screws holding the carb (phillips front /rear of carb).
Turn top of carb out so you can unscrew the slide cap, remove slid from carb. Push back air box snorkle and pull out carb.
Hold carb over drip pan and turn upside down, empty fuel.
Put carb on rag on workbench(slide side down) and remove 4 phillips screws from bottom of carb, and remove bowl.
Two things to check at this point needle and seat, and float bowl height. Look at how it is held together, then remove pin from tang on the rear of the float. Inspect the needle, magnifying glass will help for this. Clean the seat area with some WD 40 and blow out with air. Put float back on.
Now look at the float, you'll see a seam that runs across the side, this should run parallel to the bowl mounting surface.
Since you are dripping gas I would suspect that this line is slanting down towards the carb mounting surface.
Pull float up so line is parallel to carb surface and press down lightly on the needle tang. Once you have this line level (parallel), reassemble carb and put back on bike.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
One thing you might check before pulling your carb off is to make sure the carb is lined up right in the boots. I accidently put mine in a little crooked one time and it peed all the time till I realized my stupid mistake.

Top Bottom