Drivers On Cell Phones Strike Again!

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
Here it is:
Me and my mom were on our way to our friends' house in Virginia yesterday afternoon. We got about a mile from the house and we were coming up on an intersection (the turn-off from the opposite direction is more like a fork in the road). Anyway I'm driving the speed limit and see a schoolbus oncoming and when I'm about two car lengths from the turn off, a Toyota Four-runner comes right out from behind the bus and goes for the left turn. I slam the brakes and cut a bit to the right, aiming for a grass field (hoping he'd see us and turn back or at least hit the brakes). He doesn't. My side of the car slams into the front of his car. He had to be going at least 35 and we couldn't have been going less than about 45 and hit basically head on. Luckily I was driving my mom's car, a Volvo, and the airbags deployed and saved us. As soon as the impact is over I look up and see the other guy talking on his phone (a couple seconds after impact). My mom is gasping for breath and I notice blood on my airbag and am disoriented. The other man walks away and me and my mom are pulled from the car on stretchers and neck braces are put on. The man did not say a word to us or even come see if we were alright, he was on the phone. When the ambulance shows up, he then complains of chest pains and he goes to the hospital first.

Outcome: I have airbag-burns on my face, a cut up nose, a busted lip, 4 stitches in my left knee, numberous scrapes on my forearms from the airbag, a knot on my head that was bleeding, and a dark bruise from the seat belt. My mom has bruised ribs, a broken toe (pins are necessary), and her legs are one big bruise. Oh yeah and a 99 Volvo S70 totalled.

First of this week we're having chats with our lawyer, and both insurance companies.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Sorry to hear about the lousy day crkid :|
Do you have witnesses and cops on your side, the insurance dealings can be a whole other head-ache to deal with.
I hope you and your mom have a speedy recovery.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Sorry to read about that cr. Hope you and your mom heal up.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I feel for ya man I've had a similar experience but I got rear ended 3 times on a highway at like 55. The first drive to hit me was talking on a cell phone my neck has never been the same since then it tends to get sore really easy from the whip lash.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Sorry to hear of your misfourtune CR, best of wishes to you and your mom.

Phillip

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
Thanks guys

Three people pulled over and gave the state trooper statements saying that I was not at fault so I think I'll be alright in that aspect. Just sucks that it had to happen.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
:( I'm so sorry about the accident!! I'm thankful that you and your mom are going to be okay.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Best wish's man, hope you all feel better soon. I know how ya feel 'bout the idiots on the cell phones, I've had so many close calls on the Thruway with idiots yapping away. Closest call was with a bus though... going 4 wheeling into the median at 70 mph when a bus pulls into your lane while your there is not recommended... especially for tires, rims, ball joints, etc... :-)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Glad your alive! Head on's for any reason are bad news. Heal up quick. Most likely the legal things will take quite a while to come to an end.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
As much as I hate the PC safety police of the world, I'm all for the "no chatting on the cell phone while driving" laws. Maybe what the world needs is a cappachino cup with a built - in cell phone so you can keep ONE hand on the wheel while driving. :yeehaw: Take care of yourselves. Hope you heal up soon. And give your mom a big kiss and hug just because you still can. :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom