digifox

May 25, 2006
Ok so i`m short and my bike isn't so short
At a little over 35" seat Height.

And my question is.
I have 0 pre-load on the spring and the rebound set at one click

And it got it lowered a little, But will all that droop*sag* affect my handling?

Also the front forks are a little soft, How could i make them a little bit stiffer with out new springs?
They do have Air-caps(stock)
But the Manual suggests to use 0 psi
But a mag. Review i was reading says UP TO 16 PSI is safe

Asking now so when i get the IT running i wont be sitting at home cuz i went out with a bad set-up and wrecked it.

Since i like to go Full-speed through wooded trails and rough terrain :p

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am guessing the kd80? Never heard of 0 spring preload. Usually means you need a lighter spring. What mag says to put air in. That is not what they are for. Topping out hard from too much air pressure could be dangerous! With what little you have posted, there is no way that bike will handle safely. Normally, you set the sag, check the static sag and spring adjusted length. Have you ever changed the fork oil? Do you know what rate fork spring is in there.

digifox

May 25, 2006
1990/81 It175

The mag was the 1980 October issue of Cycle magazine that they reviewed the re designed IT175G...

The only adjustments on the shock is Pre-load and Re-bound
the pre-load is adjusted with a 32mm nut on the end of the shock that hold the spring (i have mine ALL the way down)
and the Rebound is adjusted with a Clicker on the bottom of the shock.

The forks...IDK what is in them, i know the bike was raced before i got it...

Quote"The IT-G comes stock with Air caps that offer adjustment up front, even though Yamaha recommends 0PSI for stander setting, you may use pressure up to 17PSI. we found 10PSI worked well with the 10.7 ounces of stock 10wheight oil. Yamaha Also offers light-duty and heavy-duty replacement springs to those seeking the perfect front end"

That`s an Exact quote

Last edited:

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
I remember (back in the day) adding air to my 83 kx 80 forks , I think zsomewhere in the owners manual it said you could put up to 15 psi in them , --- well one pump of the old bicycle pumpe and I had like 30 psi in each fork . Let it down to like 10psi and rode the thing and it almost beat me to death . This is when I figured ther had to be a better way !

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
10, damn, I was putting 3 to 5, and it still slammed on the rebound. OEM's do occasionally make mistakes. I know, its a big pill to swallow. After market and magazines are worse. I see a lot of used bike owners snivel about fixing the engine, the suspension gets just as much, if not more abuse do to neglect. And can cost a lot of money to fix. And I still stand that on an mx bike, the back effects the front and vice versa. Or maybe you would like your forks to shoot apart in the air sometime, mine did, circa 1979 and air caps!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It was in style Pete. My buddy got the same bike, a week before, gassing out of a berm, his came apart. Well, we determined it was just his. Byron,Il., full gate of 250b. Bagged the holeshot, came out of the back section with a few seconds lead. Came off a little jump before this huge jump. Just as the front came down to land, there was this microsecond flash,"the front end is going lower than it should?". Well the one side little sissy rod, 6mm or so, it goes from the bottom to the air caps on the top. 1 side came unscrewed, the other snapped. The 2 top tubes, still in the clamps, stuck in the ground and catapulted me over the bars. Skidding face first with an open faced helmet with a joffa was not recommended. Should have got 5 or 6 stitches above my chin. And the dental work did not last too long on my front tooth, lots of rocks at Byron. But the look on my face when I seen the rest of the pack coming was priceless. And it led me to my screen name, had a set of foxforxs with in a week!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom