YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Well its about that time again. Memorial weekend on the rock. Drummond Island that is.

I have been going there every Memorial weekend with the CCC for like the last 5 years. It is such a fun weekend.

Its not really an organized CCC event even though it is on the CCC schedule. What I mean is that there is no sound testing or sign up fees. Just bring your bike and whatever you need to camp to the island for a great time.

Most people come up on friday evening, ride Saturday and Sunday, then drive home monday. There is a ferry that takes you over to the island for a small fee.

We rough camp on the island. Meaning that there is no electricity, water, or bathroms. Bring what you need with you. Supplies on the island are avaliable but a little pricy. There is limited room for campers and RV's. Kinda a 1st come 1st serve kid deal. Campground is just a small field. There is some overflow area across from were we normaly camp though.

We always try to get a little trail work in while we are there. There is a local 4x4 club on the island that is responsible for the trails. But a little extra help on our part never hurts.

If you have never been to the island and are thinking about it. A few tips. MX bikes dont fare too well there. My old yz400 overheated constantly there as well as fade the clutch. Some of the trails are just too slow and tight for a mx bike. Enduro bikes seem to do much much better out there.

Also if you have a heavy throttle hand expect heavy tire wear. I destyoyed a M40 in 2 days my 1st year out. I since learned that the throttle will just get you in trouble out there.

So if any are interested in joining us this year let me know. I can give ya's more specific info if ya need it.

Hope to see ya there.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
CRF250XMAN -

Having never ridden Drummond, I'd love to ride it over Memorial weekend. I need to get the Phil Bean Wolverine ride cleared with the W.I.F.E ( :) ) first.

Memorial weekend is normally full of family and pool plans, so it's going to be a tough one. May be able to sneak in a Friday-Sunday, and head back home by Sunday evening.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'd love to ride the "ROCK" It just isn't in the cards this year. I'm planning on doing Mio with the CCC on the 22 & 23. I just could'nt swing anther trip north a week latter.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Drummond Island /memorial weekend is gettting ever closer.

Any takers yet????

I am so excited to be going back I can hardly stand it! :yeehaw: :eek: :yeehaw: :eek: :yeehaw:

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Yzman, We will have a small group in the UP nearby Drummond, but I'm not sure yet where we will be riding since we will decide on Friday after everyone arrives. If we decide to do Drummond, where is your campground and what time will you start riding? Just don't hold your breath...

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
When you get off the ferry follow the black paper arrows to camp. It is more on the east side of the island. Ya follow the main road east acrost the island then turn north on a dirt road. IT should all be marked with the arrows. Pretty easy to find. Hope to see ya there. I am driving a green ford ranger extended cab with a black 5x8 enclosed trailer.

Hope to see ya's there.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Well guys I am off to the Rock. Hope to see some of ya there. Just follow the paper arrows to camp. Green ford Ranger.

Have a great weekend I know I will. Talk to ya's next week. Stay safe.

Don.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Lucky dog.... :aj:

Bring back some cool pics for those of us stuck working around the house this weekend. :(

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Ride safe and have a great time.

Bill, just think of it as trading the holiday weekend working on the honey-do in exchange for the weekend before or after up north when the trails and roads are a little less busy. I reason that all those that take off on the long weekend must work either the weekend before or after to make up for it, so the woods and roads will be less crowded then. :yeehaw: That's a part of what the wifey and I call our pre-nup, along with the division of labor within the house. I've never been a big fan of crowded roads or trails, especially on the holiday weekends here in Michigan.

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
WildBill [et.al]. ... your philosophy is my modus operandi for bikin' ... there's way too many folks [quads] on many of my favorite trails on the holiday weekends ... I'm with you guys ... we work now, play later ... this must mean we're definitely getting old(er) ???

Have a good holiday ... looks like we're in for some sunshine ... that's that yellow stuff streaming down from above ... oh, by the way, that dark fellow behind you is a by-product of sunshine ... it's your shadow ... remember seeing him before ... perhaps last year some time!!!

terry nestrick :laugh:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Well I am back. I am dirty tired and hungry. Must go take a bath.

Had a great time. Full wright up latter.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Well sorry we never got over there. On Saturday, my riding buddy earned himself an ambulance ride and 3 days in Sault St Marie hospital with many broken ribs, bruised splene and liver, but he is doing fine and should be released tomorrow. The birch tree is just fine, it just lost a little bark. The other guy's bike wasn't running, but he figured out it was the coil, and borrowed the coil from our downed comrad's bike, so we got a ride in later in the day on Sunday.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
bbarel said:
... On Saturday, my riding buddy earned himself an ambulance ride and 3 days in Sault St Marie hospital with many broken ribs, bruised splene and liver, but he is doing fine and should be released tomorrow.
Did you happen to be riding with Teedo (Ivo) this past weekend?

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Yup I rode with Ivo on Sunday after he got his bike running.
Ivo is fine, he is not the one who went to the hospital.

Top Bottom