Ian Brock

Jan 22, 2005
It is time to get back into a little trailriding and dual-sport and I have narrowed my choice down to either the Suzuki DRZ 400 or the KTM EXC 400/525. However I am stumped to choose and am looking for your advice.

I have owned RMX 250's, a Honda Dominator and a DR 650 but now want one bike to do both. A friend loaned me his EXC 400 for a few weekends and I loved it - the suspension, the light weight, the quality components and the hydraulic clutch but I am 6 ft. tall and always felt that when standing my hands were reaching down to the handlebars, and not forward. This gave me the uncomfortable feeling that the bars could easily be ripped from my grasp, although this never did happen.

The bike was near new and the bars were original, although the bike was set up firmer for M/X.

Have any EXC 400/525 owners experienced this, and what did you do about it? or should I settle for a DRZ?

Thanks.
There are old trailriders, and bold trailriders, but not many old, bold trailriders.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site Ian :cool:

Be sure and go to your User CP and update information relating to your location, type of riding, etc.

You asked some very specific questions, so I am going to move this over to the What Bike Do I Get... ? forum. You will get a ton of really good input.

Grab a spot on the couch and crank up a new thread in the New Member? Welcome! Go here first forum and tell us a bit about yourself. How long you have been riding, what kind of riding you prefer, where you are located, etc. We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts.

We have a number of great folks there in Oz.

Again, welcome to the site, and shout if you have any questions!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I forgot to add my $0.02

I would get the 400EXC. They are great bikes and from everything I have learned are significantly more spirited thatn the DRZ. Not to say the DRZ isn't a good bike, it just isn't a race bike.

Watch for way more specific answers than mine. :)

jeddclampette

Feb 23, 2004
Ian:

the KTM has four handlebar adjustments, so I'm sure you will find your preferred position.

Plus, you can purchase Fastway footpegs, and use the low setting.

Ian Brock

Jan 22, 2005
Thanks Jed

As the EXC I rode was borrowed I rode it as is and did not think to look for adjustablity. FOUR adjustments you say? I once had a KDX that you could turn the handlebar clamps 180 degrees in their mounting holes, effectively moving the bars forward.

Cheers
Ian

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom