ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
Here's a question: Why do you have to start the kdx (or at least mine anyway) in neutral. I see the safety reason, but what is the mechanical reason is there one? I can start my street bike in any gear, so long as clutch is pulled in, yet my buddy's f4i will only start in neutral and his clutch doesn't have to be pulled. i know they have switches on the clutch to all them to crank over. but my dirtbike doesn't. Can anyone enlighten me?

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
hmmmm...that's interesting...anyone have an 87..that will start in gear?

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
The reason you cant start yours in gear is probably because you're trying to do it while the bike hasn't been warmed up. Some people may be able to start their bikes in gear when not warmed up, but their bikes are probably just newer. Next time, ride the bike around till the engine is hot, then turn bike off and try to start in gear, it should. If it doesn't then you need to adjust/replace your clutch cable, but the most likely culprit is the clutch basket and hub, they are probably notched and need to either filed or replaced, if the notching is too much.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
hmmmm..i guess what i thought was going to be a lame question has turned out to be informative, and possibly worrysome for me!!

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
It is possible that you are running a trans oil that is too heavy. I run Spectro Clutch Saver 10w-30 and start mine in gear if it stalls.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
I run 20w-50 as my manual calls for

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
There were some early bikes (mostly euro) that wouldn't start in gear. Forget what they called it (primary something).....

All modern dirt bikes will start in gear, once they are warmed up.
WORCS races, hare scramble starts are usually dead engine.

I owned a kdx like yours, it should start in gear once warm, but it will require a heavier boot.....

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
well i'm going to investigate this tonight. as this is the first bike i've ever owned that wouldn't start in gear. But then again since i bought it i've found (and fixed) alot of things is wasn't doing or doing too much off whatever the case might have been!! :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Try pushing your bike in gear with the clutch pulled and you'll find there is considerably more drag than when in neutral.

Still, starting in gear shouldn't be a problem in most cases. Will take the 'heavier boot' thing......

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
well i found out this weekend, that my bike WILL start in gear, it just takes more leg. Guess i had never put much effort into it, since it starts so easy in neutral Thanks all

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom