WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Timr - When is round #2? Do you have my e-mail address?

I also have an open invitation for the Michigan Nat'l (not Marquette, the other one). Part of takes places on land that's owned by good friends of my in-laws.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Woods,

I don't have your e-mail address, but I'll send you&nbsp;a PM today, if I don't run out of rum in my PM box.&nbsp; I may be able to make that Michigan round too.&nbsp; It's in Harrison Michigan isn't it?

I'm going to try and ride the final round, TRH, in Houston.&nbsp; You want to go?&nbsp; You can drive down and spend the night at my house, then we can leave from here.&nbsp; If I can swing it, I'm going to Houston for the Enduro, and leaving from there to go to Cooperland for DW.&nbsp; Should be a good trip.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I'd have a better chance (spousal permission wise) of going to Houston. My in-laws live in Spring, which is a hop, skip and a jump from the Sam Houston Forest (if it's held there).

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I believe that it is in the Sam Houston NF.&nbsp; I grew up there too.&nbsp; I learned how to ride there, rode my first enduro there, and went to Westfield (the other Spring) High School.

Small world.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Woods and Timr (and anyone else from DRN), the Michigan Trail Riders personally invite you to the National enduros (Marquette or Harrison) in our great state.&nbsp; Both of these events will be top notch.&nbsp; There will be a number of us at each event doing&nbsp;many tasks (helping with the event, running gas and racing).&nbsp; Let us know if we can help make&nbsp;your trip to Michigan&nbsp;a reality.

Also, our group is already planning a return trip to Cooperland.&nbsp; We would be willing to help where we can to provide more opportunities for the "non track" riders.&nbsp; We can bring staplers, arrows, or other supplies.

Let us know what help need.&nbsp; We plan to be at C-land for the entire week.

Mike

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
What if we just layed out a loop about 12-20 miles long and then broke it down into 3&nbsp; "special" test sections.&nbsp; That would create 4 short transfer sections.&nbsp; We could score each test by Elapsed Time like IDSE events.&nbsp; We would need 6 checks with crews, 2 for each section.&nbsp; No timekeeping at all.&nbsp; No speed averages between checks.&nbsp; No penaltys for checking into a test late.&nbsp; The only stipulation would be a total maximum amount of time to complete 2 circuits.&nbsp; Something like 4 hours.

Lowest ET through all 6 tests (3 per lap) wins.&nbsp; I'll donate one of Tony's beers to the winner.&nbsp; We'll just have to wait for him to fall asleep before I can collect it.&nbsp; :)

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I don't think that we can get that many miles of trails there. I do think that the idea is what we need at DW.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
There will be plenty of non-MX stuff to wear-out the woods riders... trust me!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Mully and I were talking at an enduro in Indiana.&nbsp; We may have access to more trails this year, but we need to keep in mind that we will have a poker run and two hare scrambles.&nbsp; It would be nice to have some variety in the courses (and some surprises) :p .

&nbsp;

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Folks, an enduro sounds great but let's face it.&nbsp; It takes to much time, too many people, and would tie up the trails for those not interested in running the event.&nbsp; We need to consider that "everyone" is there for fun, NOT competition.&nbsp; Taking several sections and running a "timed" course is doable, provided that it doesn't tie down people working it for more than an hour or so.&nbsp; Running an entire enduro event is really a bit much for the festivities already planned.&nbsp; I'll check with Guy and Brownie about hiding a few short sections that could be used for such a "timed" course.&nbsp; Once you put riders on it, it is no longer hiden so you will have to run the course and be done.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
"Folks, an enduro sounds great but let's face it. It takes to much time, too many people"

Brian, I believe the idea was leaning towards what Timr last suggested. It wouldn't take up any more time necessarily than other events. If Okie approved of it and we find enough volunteers then what would be the problem?

"and would tie up the trails for those not interested in running the event."

We're wouldn't be tying up ALL the trails, and certainly not for more than a few hours on the ones we did run. Dirtweek is a week long. The Individual MS races tie up the main track for what? An entire day?

"We need to consider that "everyone" is there for fun, NOT competition."

Already considered. Nobody would be forced to participate and there would be other trails, tracks etc for everyone to have room and time to do whatever they wished.

The woods oriented folks have just been trying to get some kind of indvidual event so we can compete against our DRN brethren for 3 years now. Mully and I have visited about it, and any and all ideas/planning etc. would go through Okie.

I am 100% for something of this nature!

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I am not thinking 90 miles of hell with 12 check points here.
I was actually thinking of something more like a clinic where those of us that ride these types of events could compare & discuss notes, tactics & concepts with, possibly, a piece of trail to apply what is discussed. This could be as simple as a group setting at camp with various methods of timekeeping & comparing what works for who & why, or it could involve a small section of trails.....

or we could duct tape Brian to a tree..... :p

btw, since when has competition not been fun? ;)

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Originally posted by BSWIFT
Folks, an enduro sounds great but let's face it.&nbsp; It takes to much time, too many people, and would tie up the trails for those not interested in running the event.&nbsp; We need to consider that "everyone" is there for fun, NOT competition

I think the same can be said for the MX races, which have become a DW staple. It takes up more time than an Enduro would, and involves just as many people. Im not a woods rider, but I mess around in them. I like tracks. I think it would be fair for everyone there to have something to do that interests them, not just MX peeps. :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've re-read my post and can see that it can be mis-construed, sorry.&nbsp;

I'll check with Guy and Brownie about hiding a few short sections that could be used for such a "timed" course.&nbsp;

I had hoped this statement would show you that I support some type of an enduro event.&nbsp; I'm primarily a woods guy so I WOULD like to see more events for the trails.&nbsp; Just trying to look at the bigger picture that already has quite a few events planned.
BTW, no offense taken by the replies.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by BSWIFT
I had hoped this statement would show you that I support some type of an enduro event.

Brian,

I hope you realize I was joking about you, some duct tape, & a tree. ;)
I realize what you are saying about the number of events & the amount of time available is 100% on the mark.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Farmer John

Brian,

I hope you realize I was joking about you, some duct tape, &amp; a tree. ;)&nbsp;

Got a pretty good laugh thinking about that one. :laugh:

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
This sounds great. I'll be there the entire week (first time caller long time listerner) and would be willing to help with posting arrows and such. Looking forward to being there and helping out! How many days left?

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Just for clarification. We have a planning committee that will be organizing the "Woods" events for DW03. We will be looking for assistance with the setup and running of the actual contests. Okie will be contacting each of you shortly about a chat room planning session to be held in the next few days. Not to discourage any of the great ideas that have come from these threads but we want to make sure that everyone is on the same page for the planning and operation, and that everything will run smoothly for all.

Mully

ps: The woods events have grown a lot since our first DW, and besides, what's a Motor-cross ?? :p

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
I have the following questions regarding dirt week:

1. If you camp are there any facilities? Showers?
2. On the Preliminary Schedule of Events it only shows open riding on Monday and Tuesday. Does that mean that on the other days you have to participate in the sheduled events or be a bystander/observer?
3. Is there open riding on the MX track/tracks?
4. Is there open riding on the H/S course?
5. I thought I saw somewhere there is trail riding. How much is there? will it be accessible the whole time or only at certain times?
6. Are all the activities included in the 20.00 a day fee or do you have to pay for each activity you want to participate in separately? (MX races, MX school)
7. I read that attendance will be limited to 400. Where is that number now? 5/29/03?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by ksp
I have the following questions regarding dirt week:

1. If you camp are there any facilities? Showers?
2. On the Preliminary Schedule of Events it only shows open riding on Monday and Tuesday. Does that mean that on the other days you have to participate in the sheduled events or be a bystander/observer?
3. Is there open riding on the MX track/tracks?
4. Is there open riding on the H/S course?
5. I thought I saw somewhere there is trail riding. How much is there? will it be accessible the whole time or only at certain times?
6. Are all the activities included in the 20.00 a day fee or do you have to pay for each activity you want to participate in separately? (MX races, MX school)
7. I read that attendance will be limited to 400. Where is that number now? 5/29/03?

1. The BSWIFT built a shower for last year that a lot of people used, seemed to work great. You can use that one or the ones at the facilities. The restroom / shower for the facilities are up the hill from the camping site, not a very far walk and certainly in sight distance. The port-o-shower and porto-o-potties are right in camp.

2. There is never a need to be a bystander at DW. You can ride anytime, anywhere as long as there is not an organized event on that coarse at that particular time. If you don't want to participate there are plenty of other riding areas to occupy your time. Go ahead and sign up, you'll be glad you did. DW is about doing things you've never done or have never had the nerve to try it. Nobody laughs at you if you're not good at it.
There is never anything scheduled that will prevent you from having a place to "free ride"

3. Yes but there is always an hour or so set aside each day for the kids, beginners, so forth to ride without fear of being used for a landing. There are 2 MX tracks there, the pee wee track that is a lot of fun and plenty of air time if you got it in you and the big track that rocks. Only thing I didn't see was a whoop section and who knows what Kris will have there this year.

4. Yes, unless there is a hare scramble going on at the time. I think we used the coarse 2 or 3 times last year for an hour or so and that was over the coarse of one week. Plenty of time to ride it.

5. There is woods and open pasture riding and are open to all except during an event that involves that section. There is talk of adding another 12 miles section or something like that this year.

6. The registration fee includes all activities. The person that went with me last year came home with several hundred $'s in prizes, including a new helmet. Not bad for the price of admission. :thumb:

7. There are close to 150 people registered already. Last year the majority of people waited till the last minute to register and that makes it VERY HARD to plan. This year there are already 150 or so registered and that's the 1st couple of months, I bet you there are a lot of people that will wait too late but I am not one of those. This will be my 2nd DW and I was a fool not to go the 1st year, I didn't know what I was missing. Take it from the king of skepticism (me) it'll be a memory that will live forever. Last year was the king of all vacations for me and my daughter. Here's a link to my write up about last years experience. Click here to find out what is Dirtweek

Last edited:
Top Bottom