JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
I'd like to tame my sons KX85 down a bit. Nothing severe, he is not a racer and rides woods trails. He loves the snap of the 2-stroke and I don't want to kill that but it can be a hand full on tight trails and in poor conditions. I've heard others suggest a flywheel weight but I don't know which size. I called Steahly today, they make a 8oz, 10oz and 12 oz. They said that the 12 oz is only for very timid riders and suggested the 8oz.

Does anyone have experience with different sizes on the 85 series of bike? My buddy has a KX250 and Steahly recommended a 13oz for that one. An 8oz flywheel on a bike 1/3 of that displacement seems a bit much.

dhunt

Nov 22, 2002
I put an 8oz on my wifes kx 100 and the dd's kx 100 and it works great even with me on it. The flywheel is so small to begin with, that 8 oz's just slows it down a bit.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
8oz will not slow it down a much as you think, if your son is very aggressive then stick with the 8oz. If he is a little less aggressive I would encourage you to go with the 10oz for the type of trails you have where you live. I rode them A LOT years ago and you want something that can put the power to the ground in tight situations that often has rocks with leafs on top of them and often damp. The weight is removable and they are cheap enough that if you decide you want a lighter one down the road it's a simple swap.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
I have been running the 10oz on my son's KX85's and KX100's and have been very happy with the set-up. BTW we are riding tight wooded trails, no MX.

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
Thanks for the input. I ordered the 10oz yesterday. Talked with Chuck Steahly about it. The bottom line is that if the 10oz is too much, it can be cut to a 8oz (Steahly does it for $20) but if an 8oz was not enough it can't be modified to a 10oz.

Top Bottom