Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm picking up my enclosed trailer Friday and need to outfit it for bike hauling. I don't want permenant wheel chocks and I can't use an ATK Bike Shoe with my Montesa so any suggestions? I really like the idea of the flip up ones that you recess in to the floor but don't have any knowledge of how well they actually work. I plan to load them in the 6x12 trailer at an angle so I can maximize the number of bikes I can get in (4 is the minimum goal) and still have room near the side door so I can easily access gear, popup, folding chairs, cooler... There is always the Pingles with removable hardware or possibly a design I'm trying to work out.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I used the cheapo metal tube chocks- like 19.95 each- they bolt to the floor- I added a false floor and put threaded inserts in from the bottom side, so when the new floor was down there was nothing sticking up, just a threaded metal hole. When I don't want the chocks I pul the bolts out -

I recessed the tiedown hooks in the false floor too, so when i am not hauling bikes the floor is flat.

Plus I figure if the floor gets all torn up i can replace it

i also hook my bikes from the floor to the footpegs with a chain and caribiners, holds them very securily, pulls down both ands and pulls the bike into the chock, and easy to hook up /unhook

RACINRAY

Feb 18, 2004
pingel removable chocks i use them in my 6x12 cycle hauler they came with the trailer but they work so well i think i would have bought them anyway. :cool:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I just opted to recess some tie down rings in the floor and secure them to the footpegs while on a stand with turnbuckles. There was some posts that I found and I think the Idea came from WaltCMoto and MX547. If you set them up at an angle like MX-727's pictures show you will easily get 4 in a 6x12 and still have the room you mention near the door.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Pat I put in the bikeboots with the slide tabs and love them. The bikes have ridden over 5K miles so far and not one has come loose or moved.
Here is the number for the actual guy (Steve) that makes them 618-923-0471
He is great to work with and if you call him tell him I referred you
If you want I'll shoot some pics of my setup and send them to you

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Pat,

I put in E-Track on the floor about 8-10 inches from each side wall the length of the trailer. Buy the O-Ring clip-ins for the E-Track and screw 2x2's to the wall to chock the front wheel against. I put a bike shoe in the front corner for the 1st bike as it's hard to get a good pull on the bars to hold that one in.

E-Track - $60
O-Rings $5 each
Bike Shoe ~ $85?
2x2 - Scrap

I rubber banded my tie downs to the rings and put screws on the wall to hang them from. They are always right there and out of the way. Easy loading by myself. I fit 4 bikes in my 6x10 this way as long as one was a trials or small (TTR-125) bike.

Tommy

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Hmmm, interesting! Got some pics?

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I've since gone to vintage racing and upgraded to a 7x14 v-nose to haul all my new old bikes. I'm still using the e-track but the bikes fit crosswise. I can get you some pics of that if it would help. I love my e-track!! At mid-ohio vintage motorcycle days I saw wheel chocks that fit into e-track, very slick but a little pricey. I'll get some pics and post them, but it will probably be Monday. We are leaving for a soccer tournament in Memphis in about an hour.

Tommy

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Thanks, it will give me another idea to consider. I picked up some steel today (to weld up some soccer bench legs LOL!) and say a nice chunk of aluminum channel that got me thinking about mountin it to the wall but it was an expensive piece of metal. I think even a heavy piece of angle would do the same thing as the 2x2?

Gota' love them soccer tournaments, it pretty much rules our life too!

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
The recessed, floor-mount chocks that you flip up are --- unless something has changed since the last time I looked at these --- for street bikes only. Too short to accomodate a 21" wheel. You can't even get the wheel completely into the floor mount portion. I know, I was going to put these these in my new trailer instead of Pingels. Ended up going the Pingel route instead.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I am using the recessed ones that you flip up. They work great! They do come in 2 sizes, depending on the spacing of your cross beams on your trailer. 18" or 24". I went with the 18s so I had more room to move forward or back when installing. Currently I have 2 installed, I will get 2 more, now that I know they work. I paid 33 plus 14 in shipping per unit. Found them on the auction site. Some trailer place in Kentucky had them. I highly recommend them.
I have used the removable pingels too. Don't like the fact that once you remove them, you still have to put them somewhere, and then, when you are ready to reinstall, you need to find them. For us old guys, this can be a challenge!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom