cr2504life

May 17, 2004
Hi everone, I had my flywheel cover off last night and when I turned it back and forth i could hear a knocking noise. When it is running there is a slight noise when idling but I can't hear anything when it is revved. I had the top end off a week or two ago and the wrist pin and crank rod bearings seemed to be good with no vertical play. Could this be "piston slap". And does this mean i have to replace the top end?

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Are you sure your not just hearing the backlash between the clutch and tranny gears? Turning the flywheel back and forth you may be hearing that play. maybe try putting it in gear and zip tying the clutch to the bar when you turn it?

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
The bike runs pretty good, seems to have all kinds of power but im a newbie so im not sure what other crs run like. It kinda sputters when im giving it anything less than 1/8 throttle. I know that the jetting is really rich (even though it doesn't foul plugs w/t 235 main and 85 pilot) but i haven't had time to play with it. Is there a way to check the main bearings without splitting the cases. Im going to put crank seals in it as soon as they come in so can I check the bearings for play when it is apart?

chavez27

Jan 4, 2004
i dont know if you can check the bearings without splitting the cases. maybe. but the bike that i saw with the same problem sputtered too. does the alternator have vertical and horizontal play?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom