Engineering or Engineering Technology?

bwilley125

Mar 31, 2009
I am currently a first year student majoring in mechanical engineering. My question is should I transfer into mechanical engineering technology? I really want to get a job within the mx industry. Would I stand a better chance getting a job with a degree in MEE or MET? I feel that I am not getting the hands on experience in MEE. I have to decide by the end of this semester or else I'll most likely be forced to attend for an extra year. I am hesitant to switch to MET because once I switch my MET credits wouln't transfer back to MEE. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sort of depends on what area you want to be hands on with as well as the school you go to. Keep in mind also that having a specific degree from a specific school doesn't make you a shoe in for anything. Besides there is no set path to any destination.

Perfect example I work in Civil engineering, the VP of the company has a Mech. Engineering and the President has a degree in Meteorology and I studied Industiral Engineering and Architecture!

bwilley125

Mar 31, 2009
So i guess what your saying is that I should get a degree that will give me the most opportunities after college? Which probably means MEE.

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
In my MET courses i've had a few classes that do have labs but i don't feel that you are missing out on a whole lot that would really give you a leg up on the competition when it comes to the mx industry. They tend to relate a lot of stuff to big manufacturing plants and power plants. I would say if you enjoy what you are doing now then you would probably by fine staying where you are. And as Patman said, just because you have a certain degree doesn't mean you get to be Stewart's mechanic or anything. Just out of curiosity what school are you going to?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think Rich makes an excellent point! Getting involved in a program (that might not even have direct credit to your proposed degree) that gives you hands on experience with something you are interested in will do more than just give you a chance to earn credits. People tend to learn more when they are directly involved in the creative process.

I was totally bored out of my mind in most classes, it seemed like they were geared to the stupidest person in the class for the most part. I did fine but did just enough to get by with a good grade but when we got to do a project then I completly threw the bell curve out of wack. I then learned to harness that creative energy and use it for creating in both my mind and the software I use to design. It is a HUGE edge and having an edge is what gets you both better jobs and more bucks not to mention more job satisfaction.

bwilley125

Mar 31, 2009
I am strongly considering switching to met right now because I am very board with my classes. But I'm still not sure. I am at the University of Maine, which from what i understand is one of the top engineering schools in the country.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
MET isn't going to offer anything better than Mechanical Engineering. You'll still be bored in class, but you will also skip over the theory behind the application, limiting your knowledge. If you want hands on then go get a trade or go MMI.

Top Bottom