Evel Knievel to jump again?

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I heard a rumor today that Evel was going to jump one more time. I can hardly believe this in that the last few times I've seen him, he could barely stand. But I'll have to admit, when it comes to having the huevos to make a jump, nobodies got'em hangin lower than Evel. Think he'd try it again on a tricked out XR750? Anybody heard anything to substantiate this rumor?

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
i heard jay leno talking about it last night and of course he made fun of how old he was and showed an old guy taking and electric wheel-chair up the ramp. it could be true and knowing the knievel family, he probably will. i saw robby( his son) jump at red wing mn. a few years back and he crashed cuz it was wet out.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Evel was my hero.
Anyone else remember those little Evel gyro toy bikes that had the tee handle pull thing? We used to set model cars ablase and let Evel jump 'em...heck we'd have eem jump INTO 'em! Ah, to be a kid again....

I hope he tries another one, and I wish him the very best!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
sounds like a bad idea to me!

after seeing that bubba blackwell dude wipe out at del mar, i still cant understand why anyone would try to do a jump on a harley. the're so heavy, i am sure it would be like jumping out of a plane with a piano for a parachute!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001

Wow, I had one of those too! I Wish I still had it. I remember building little ramps out of wood and jumping over stuff on my pedal bike. Always had to do a couple speed passes first ya know! I used to go through axles and wheels bearings like nobody's business!

Thirty years later and I'm still waiting to grow up. :confused:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Local L.A. morning radio celebrities Mark & Brian interviewed him earlier this week. He was promoting a museum he's building in Primm, (Stateline) Nevada next to the Primm resorts. He plans to house all his memorabilia there, with the opening set for some time next spring.

In regards to the rumored jump, he said he is considering making a jump some time next spring to coincide with the opening of the museum, but isn't set on a date or location yet. He will be training between now and then.

When asked what motorcycle he would use he said he didn't know for sure yet, as he had several good offers from manufacturers, but that it would be the finest V-twin motorcycle available. He did mention the possility of the XR750.

When asked why he would be jumping such a large motorcycle rather than a lighter bike such as Robbie uses which is more suited to jumping he claimed he didn't like those light motorcycles as they don't suit his style.

He also made an interesting comment on what his definition of a daredevil is: He said a daredevil is someone that fears the thing he is about to attempt but does it anyways, and "I am a daredevil". (This was in reference to the fact that he always had a certain amount if respect and fear-he was never cocky about his abilities.)

These are some of the main points I remember from the interview. I was in the work truck, so I had no way to tape it! :whiner:

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
He ws on Mohr Sports not too long ago and he said he was definitly jumping again. If it goes as planned he said it will be his longest jump ever. :eek:

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I wish him the best, but I also don't think this will turn out well if he does jump. He's 63, that's a bit too old to be breaking distances set when he was half that age. But if he does, what will he be riding?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Age has little to do with it.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I think it is a death wish, probably hopes to die in the attempt, go out in a blaze of glory.

I saw something that he was going to try 200 ft on a hight tech bike - don't see him doing it on a big V.

If I ever attempt a big record breaking jump, I will save it for when I am 63-70. Best time in your life to try do something like that :eek: :)

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
He was also on the last word with Jim Rome nottoo long ago. He was asked if he as try to do this as an attempt of going out with a blaze of glory and he told him no he just want's to jump again. They were also talking about his age and he said that he is only as young as feels, and by the way he was talking he feels pretty good.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Yeh, forgot to mention that he recently had a liver transplant and is doing much better than he had the last couple of years.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I think him and Seth should have a jump-off :) hehehe

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
That would be like pitting Em-n-em(?) against Elvis.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by _SOLO_
He ws on Mohr Sports not too long ago and he said he was definitly jumping again. If it goes as planned he said it will be his longest jump ever. :eek:
Not a chance. His longest jump ever? I saw an interview with him about 2 years ago. He may do a small publicity jump, but no attempts at any records. He sounded like he has mellowed down and has had his fun. If he tries a long jump, he won't live through it and he knows that. He is a daredevil, but the man isn't stupid..........

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I read an interview with Evil in the Dr's Office, it was in Sports Illustrated, the issue with Ken Camminati on the front cover about steroid use... It is a small article in the front of the magazine. He said he is 63, and he plans to jump 10-20 or 20-30 busses ( i cant remember which :confused: ) when they open up his museum. He also stated that he does at least a shot of whiskey before each jump, sonetimes 2-3....He still is cocky as ever.
I was thinking, each bus is like 8' wide, if he was to jump 20 busses, that is 160', pretty large for a 63 yr old, I would want to see it.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by Hucker
I think him and Seth should have a jump-off :) hehehe
Oh Seth would win no question. He is the man. Being a heck of a lot younger and on a bike worthy of jumping the distance doesnt hurt either.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I still can't see him doing it, and I actually hope he doesn't. There is no need for him to prove himself, he has done that time and time again.

Now, I'd actually like to see him do the Snake River Canyon thing again with better equiptment. ;)

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I remember seeing him jump ten Greyhound buses in Seattle`s old Kingdome in 1976 when I was about six years old. That had to be one of the best events I`d ever been to. I had most all the toys my first bicycle even looked like his. I`ve seen Robbie jump on numerous occasions including that saturday night in 76 when he was in his mid teens.
I can`t really understand why Evil would want to do something like this at his age and overall physical condition. If he does go ahead with the jump I wish him luck.

Steve

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I was thinking, each bus is like 8' wide, if he was to jump 20 busses, that is 160'
Not to mention, you gotta take into account about 2' between each bus and the first and last bus and the ramp. That's an extra 42' I believe. 202'.....that would be a sight (I wonder if Evel can whip it?)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…