Ever dreamed of tearing it up a the local golf course?

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Whenever I played golf at the local course, I always imagined how cool it would be to jump over the tee boxes, haul down the fairway, jump the swales, and rip up the greens. Of course, being a golfer, the sins of committing such carnage were unthinkable. To my amazement, I discovered several months ago, that this course had been sold in order to build warehouses!... Warehouses! geeze...
Alas the course was closed several weeks later. Noticing that the bulldozers still hadn't started their evil doings I decided that the least I could do is have my fun before the "man" has his.
So, after a week or two of hand wringing and pacing the floor, I decided to set out for the old course at risk of fine and/or imprisonment. When I arrived across the street w/my bike on the trailer, I noticed a white pickup truck sitting in the middle of the fairway (surveying no doubt). I decided to go ahead and unload and ride out to it, may as well face him head on. You never know, they may not care right? Anyhow, it turned out to be some guy just hitting golfballs for old times sake I guess (pickup for a golfcart, cool). I asked him if he thought they'd arrest me for riding out there (at this point I'd already made up my mind anyway), he said, "Naw, the golf course is closed fella". Yeee haaaa!
I'm here to tell ya, riding on densely packed bermuda is even better that it sounds! With the ground being dry, I couldn't even mar the sod, my bike would just wheelie. The bentgrass greens were a different story, I cut them to pieces, well, the ones that hadn't already been "four wheeled". Great smooth, rolling jumps, both on and off the greens. The tee boxes made great tabletops. Some of them had twenty to thirty foot faces with forty to fifty foot tops, yeah! Sixty to seventy mph down the fairway... that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
I decided the coast was clear and brought my sons, 6 & 8yrs, the following Saturday. Perfect! they loved it!
To date there still aren't any dozers. I think next time we'll bring PB&J sandwiches and make a day of it. BTW I also let 'em do a little fishing in the water hazard.
Hope this sweet deal lasts awhile! :cool: :ride: :)

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
Yep everytime i drive out to go dirt biking me and my buddy pass a golf course... we both look at each other and say " in our dreams "

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
OldTimer - You are living the American dirt biker dream! I'm way jealous. Glad you and your kids got to go enjoy yourselves on such a nicely groomed grasstrack. The DVD "Time to Ride" has a cool section with Ty Davis tearing around a golf course on a YZ 426 with a trails tire on it. Watching that always increases my interest in "golfing"!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Turfing a golf course has to be a very common dirtbiker's fantasy. I've dreamt of it for over 25 years!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
uhhh...........whats the weather look like in memphis this weekend??

lol j/k

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
I always think of that, they would be perfect for rippin' it up. A little ways from my place, I thought they were making a motocross track, and then a few weeks after I had been by the first time, I went by again. They were making a golf course!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
highflyernick said:
I always think of that, they would be perfect for rippin' it up. A little ways from my place, I thought they were making a motocross track, and then a few weeks after I had been by the first time, I went by again. They were making a golf course!

that was a sad day huh :pissed:

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Well, the golf course is still intact. I rode there for a couple of hours today. I took a lap around the back side and ran across a crew that was harvesting the sod from the fairway. Looks like the writing's on the wall, I just hope I get to do a little warm weather riding before this gig dries up. Every time conditions permit I find myself begging the little woman for release from household duties, ya know... "But Honey, this might be the last chance I get... WAAHHHH!"

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
That is awesome, everytime I play a round of golf I always admire all of the great terrain available for a weekend ride. You have lived the fantasy of so many dirtbikers. Soak it up and take advantage of that every chance you get, its doubtful you'll ever get an opportunity like this again, I wish I had it!

Top Bottom