EVS RC-Evolution Neck Brace vs. Leatt?

LazyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2003
Lou,

I haven't had a chance to ride with this product, but two or three months ago the Parts Canada rep. brought one in to show off. I'm not certain it was the same product that is for sale now it may have been a prototype.

From what I saw I wouldn't say it is better than the Leatt by any means, it was about the same weight as the leatt but felt fairly awkward due to the extended shoulder pieces. When i got the brace on with a helmet it felt like my head was able to tilt further back and further forward than what the Leatt allows, and unlike the Leatt this brace is not adjustable. It restricted the amount you can turn your head side to side due to the way the plastic tilts up on the side.

Overall from what I saw I wouldn't choose it over the Leatt (although the price tag is a little more appealing), but it may feel different when you are on the bike.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Lou
Just by chance I was on the phone with a good friend who is one of the EVS marketing guys when I saw this and he will try to jump on later tonight to give a bit of info on the EVS. If you have specific questions try to post them up and maybe he can give a direct answer to them

B

biglou

Thanks guys. I was just looking at a lower-priced alternative to the Leatt. Of course, I don't want to sacrifice protection! It does say that it is height-adjustable, so that may be an option to Troy being able to tilt his head farther (raise it up a bit). I do like that they have more sizes available, as I'm not the smallest guy on a bike, lol! Dave, that would be great if we could get some info on here from the EVS guys. :cool:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Hey Lou. My son pre-ordered one but hasn't gotten it yet. His decision was $$ based but with his dad always telling him (;))to be safe he wanted to get something. He has ridden with he buddy's Leatt so when he gets the EVS I'll get a ride report from him.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
For those making this decision largely by budget, Leatt is also offer a new GPX Adventure brace due out shortly for $195. I don't know much of the details but it sounds like it will have less adjustability and a few other things scaled down to help reduce the cost and compete directly with the EVS on price point alone.

The Leatt has not been real popular with bigger folks as they don't seem to be able to get the right adjustments. I had heard Leatt was developing a bigger set of pins to help but don't know if they ever did come out with them.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Lou,
I've worn a Leatt for the past 15 months. It only took a ride or two to become accustom to wearing the brace. There is a slight reduction in air flow around the neck, but nothing that keeps me from not wanting to wear it. The brace comes with shorter and longer pieces to shorten or lengthen the brace as needed front to back. Plus the front and rear upper members are adjustable up and down. The only adjustment that the brace doesn’t have is the width of the opening. With the adjustments the Leatt brace has, I feel it’s a better product that can be tailor fit to a rider, were the EVS brace doesn’t appear to have any adjustment. I would have no problem buying a Leatt brace again if needed.

Tim

B

biglou

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I may order the EVS today, and if I can't get a good fit or feel for it (without riding in it and getting it all sweaty...), I'll just pay the return shipping and return it and go for the Leatt. :cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
the people who are looking at the EVS that I've talked to won't quite admit to price being the factor, but claim that the Leatt contributes to more broken collarbones, while the EVS spreads the load more evenly across the shoulders.

anyhoo, whatever :think:

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
Big Lou,

I am in the same boat as you. I was looking at the EVS because I could not afford the Leatt Brace (even though I know there is no price for safety). But after trying a Leatt brace for a while it looks like it is a bit more comfortable than what the EVS shows. I have not had a chance to try on the EVS brace because none of the shops around hear do not carry it at the moment, but if it does not have adjustment like the Leatt does I don't think I would choose it. I was looking at the Leatt website and found out just like Chili said they are making a Adventure model for the weekend warriors like my self that is priced at only $195. Leat said it will be coming out towards the end of summer and early fall. I am going to wait till the so I can try both of them on and see which one has the best confort and safety aspects. Until then I am just going to keep using the EVS race collar that I got. Hope that helps. If you do get the new EVS neck brace let us know how it works and if it is confortable.

Thanks

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
My son got frustrated with them pushing out the date so he is buying a Leatt tomorrow at the local shop. He has seen too many friends getting hurt and wants as much protection as he can get...ahh, he's finally growing up!! ;)

B

biglou

I just checked this morning and it's pushed back again, until Aug. 15th this time. I think I may get a Leatt as well.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Lou, did you get a brace yet? Do it. My son crashed hard yesterday and the Leat saved his neck. He went wide open in 3rd off a jump and landed in a dirt wall that bordered the track. The bike stopped dead and he went over the bars and landed on his face. Destroyed the helmet. His neck is sore but OK. The real damage may be internal. His gut caught the bars and he is pooping blood today. I finally talked him in to seeing his doctor this afternoon and I hope he send s him right to the ER. Damn stubborn kids. Yeah he's still a kid at 26...I guess I am too!

B

biglou

Dave-Chili is going to bring Troy's Leatt to Wardy's for me to try on. One thing that concerns me about fitment is my short, or total lack of, a neck... :whoa: So I'd like to try one on before I drop $400.

Oh, and pooping blood = bad. Ouch. :ohmy:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
RM Guy - how's your son? One of my buddies caught the bars in the stomach, ruptured blood vessels and his small intestine, and they had to cut him open pretty good to find the bleeding and fix him up. Hopefully your son doesn't have to go through that, and he's okay!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
He's OK now. Looks like it was just a real hard hit and he has a bunch of bruising left over. He broke his finger too. After talking to others that saw him crash they can't believe he is still walking. They thought he was going to break his neck but the brace really did it's job.

Thanks for asking.

B

biglou

That's good news Dave. :cool:

The new lower price Leatt is showing up at Rocky Mtn now, but not available yet. And reviews for the EVS are appearing, but the brace still isn't available from them yet! I suppose they will start trickling in sooner or later. And this coming weekend Chili is going to let me try on Troy's Leatt to see how it fits with my stubby, cro-magnon neck... :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
the EVS must be out, because my nephew got one the other day. Or at least he claimed he did. He's 11, and he's been know to feed his uncle a line of BS once in a while.

Maybe they only got the kids version so far.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom