wrang

Mar 6, 2004
does anyone know if enamel will melt if you use it to paint your 2-stroke exhaust? I was thinking of repainting my pipe cause it looks pretty ratty and wanted it to have a glossy kinda look but i just wanted to stick w/ black. would it be safer to just use spray paint? also do you think it would matter if i sanded off the old paint or not to protect it from rust. I wasn't planning on removing the old coat but if i need to than i will.

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
first let me say I'm not a painter by any stretch (my disclaimer for the following perspective) . . . you might want to try going to the auto parts store and get paint that can take high heat. I'd primer the pipe before repainting. I'd sand it if there's a lip from where there's paint to where there's no paint. . . just enough to smooth out the transition. whatever you do, good luck. hope it turns out well.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Go to Walmart. They have header paint that contains some ceramic stuff. Its excellent. Just sand the pipe lightly first and make sure it is clean ( use laquer thinner )
I've found that if you heat the pipe lightly with a propane torch before you spray you will get a very nice hard finish.

Top Bottom