rikhek

Nov 3, 2004
Is there a "special" type of spray paint (i.e., enamel, epoxy enamel, acrylic, flat, glossy, etc) you guys are using to secure new grips? I used some old enamel I had in the garage and it didn't hold. BTW, I've tried hairspray in the past with POOR results. Thanks.

Rick

B

biglou

3M weatherstrip adhesive in the spray can. Use a little, gives you a couple minutes for positioning, then they're stuck. For good. Usually have to cut them off. I don't do safety wire (not on my grips, anyway).

btw-There are about 100 other threads on this subject if you want to spend the afternoon reading them!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Lou does that leave a glue like residue behind when you cut the grip off? How fast does it set? We used Renthal grip glue and wire last year but it was a pain if we needed to do a grip change at the track. I may go back to the old way of just sliding em on with contact cleaner and wiring them.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
3M weatherstrip adhesive works great. Do as Biglou says. They set and are ready to ride in minutes. I don't like safety wire either. I have never had a grip come loose with this method. After cutting the grips off, I lightly sand off the glue residue. Then re-apply adhesive for the next set. Total time: about 15 minutes.

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
I dont even use glue.... I spray some WD-40 in the grip, put it on the bar, let it evaporate (I poke a little hole in the end but I dont know if that helps at all) and then the friction between the bar and rubber grip keeps it in place. Ive done this on 3 bikes, and the grips have yet to come loose or twist - they stay on so good sometimes the grip will rip when you try to pull it off.

rjl250

Oct 18, 2004
I also use WD-40. I know it sounds weird, but it works better than anything else I've tried. Even in wet weather (for SoCal) they stick on well. It's easy and really cheap, and seems to work better than grip glue. I don't put a hole in it though, I just twist it around till it's where I want it and leave it overnight.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Best I've used so far is friction tape (black cloth tape w/adhesive on both sides) and carb cleaner. Wrap the tape around the bar and then spray the carb cleaner on it and quicky throw on the grip. The carb cleaner loosens up the adhesive on the tape and allows the grip to slide on easily and also helps spread out the adhesive as well. My grips were on for the entire race season and they never budged.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
BonChance13 said:
ODI lock grips...

One of my son's racing buddies ran those for awhile this season. I think they may be a nice option for a trail/casual rider. For a hardcore racer who put's a lot of hours on the bike they wore very quickly and were somewhat finicky on the throttle side.

BonChance13

May 7, 2002
can't argue with you on those two points Chili...I agree. I also use 3m Spray mount and safety wire,I have found that grip glue sets too quickly for my tastes.

Radiator Ron

Dec 8, 2003
try goop that you can get a hardware or wal-mart a buddy turned me on to it and it works great with no wire, and you dont have to sand to put another set on. Just rub it and it comes off. I've used it for about 2 yrs now and havent had a grip come loose.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom