'00KX250er

May 2, 2005
I just bought a 2000 kx 250 that is stock from what I can tell. I have looked at the piston or power valve. I'm replacing the clutch with factory plates and fibers.

I used to ride a 125 about 5 years ago. It had power but not like this 250. This bike is a monster. i guess it is the motors nature to be so violent. My question is how can I tame this beast? I doesn't need any more power, just more controlable.
thanks!

VB Racing

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2004
Get a heavier flywheel, steahly makes a couple different weights, 9,11, and 13oz I believe.I used to run an 11oz, now I like the bike better without one. I had a 99 KX250 that I ran a weight on all the time. You can also change the gearing to help you out, drop to a 50 tooth rear, it slows the bike some. I have heard of people retarding the ignition timing, but I have never done that. My opinion is, that after you get used to the bike, it will not scare you so much, when your skills improve, the bike feels slower.Then you end up looking for more power so it can scare you again, its a viscous circle!!! :aj:

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
When I first got my KX250, it scared the hell out of me. But it was also my first bike. I bought the 11oz Stealthy flywheel weight. They are easy to install. You still have all of your power, but the power is more controllable. It's not so snappy. It's great for trail riding and harescrambles. If you're doing motocross, you might want to go with the 9oz weight. But I don't do MX so I don't know. Matt

james900rr

May 5, 2005
i have ridden both my CR250R and my buddy's KX250, and i can say that my CR had more "umph" through the gears. The mods (just engine mods) are almost identical being FMF Fatty with FMF power core II silencer, Twin Air Filter, Wiseco Piston, and jetting. The KX is sick though but ill stick to my CR. Im not a lil guy (6'4" 285lbs) and itll lift my big ass up with a throttle snap (not clutch) in as high as 4th gear. It is damn near uncontrollable 1-3 gear unless you are ready for it. The KX is smooth through the gears with a broad powerband, i liked it. But alas...im a Honda guy :)

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I am a big fan of flywheel weights. Also, retarding the ignition timing slightly can help quite a bit. If you want to really get into it you could have the exhaust port sleved and lowered.

good luck

'00KX250er

May 2, 2005
I'm gonna get the new kawi clutch plates/fibers saturday. Some new silencer packing, air filter, T2 clutch cable, shifter lever also. I think I just need to ride this bike more. I love it's power and hope I will get used to it. I missed typed the first post, I haven't looked at the reeds or piston yet. The bike smokes a little too much to me(may be normal though). I may go ahead and put in a new piston kit before I really get into the gas. Any suggestions on clutch break-in?

Rutbuster1

Sep 30, 2002
Get a Steahly Flywheel Weight. I have the same bike set up for the woods. I have a 13 oz weight but it kills me on straights...but is PERFECT for tight woods. I'd recommend an 8 or 11 oz for MX.

Top Bottom