Exposed Steel On Frame Flash Rust

layoutd

May 17, 2004
So i bought a 98 KDX a couple of months ago and have been loving it. The left side of the frame has been rubbed down to the bare steel by what appears to be normal boot rub. The steel has appeared fine with no discoloration.
I went riding Sunday after a rain and got into a lot of clay and other wet soils. sprayed it off that night and the next morning the frame had flash rusted. now i have washed the bike down before this time and have ridden through water and dirt, but it has never flash rust before. What has caused this? What can prevent it? (except for repainting the frame, i want to ride it for a while before i take it apart)
I did use a pressure washer this time at a car wash. Did this remove some type of coating I did not know about?

One other thing...
Is there anything i can do about the odometer cable wearing into my fork? stickers or tape i guess, but what else...? :bang:

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
Obviously there's no protective coating on the bare metal. Did you dry the bike off after you washed it? You can paint it but it will just end up on your boot after a while. I would just spray a little WD-40 on the bare metal and be done with it.

layoutd

May 17, 2004
yeah, if i paint it, i will need the guards to cover my work...

i've been riding it a lot lately, this just popped up over night. thought it may have had something on it that kept it polished or maybe all the damn red clay from my ride had some sort of strange reaction.

probably should have dried it, but it was late when we washed our bikes and i had already had a few adult beverages :laugh:

so i'll temp fix it, until i can strip it down and have it blasted and painted

having too much fun to do it right now :)

Top Bottom