oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Today I was having ceramic pads put in my truck (2000 F250 2WD super duty 67,000mi.) anticipating picking up our 5th wheel trailer this month. When the shop called (I was figuring they were going to tell me I needed rotors or something) they told me that on both sides the outer tierods were so worn they were close to snapping. He told me he has seen this several times on F250 2 wheel drives. A quick call to the dealer and they are going to replace them as warranty items even tho I have 67K on the truck well over the warranty. I asked if this was because of a recall but they just kept saying warranty.
Just thought I would pass it along for you to check yours out- I am suspicious as to why this is warranty :think: (not that I am complaining).

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Sounds strange to me, I had a 99 2 wheel drive F250 with 81,000 on it when I traded for the 02 F350 4x4. It never had any issues.

Were the front tires wearing evenly? My rear tires wear down quicker than the fronts.

You will really enjoy pulling the Fiver, steady as a rock, but be sure to keep the tire pressures correct, the pin weight will probably be a LOT more than the hitch weight of your previous trailer.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
77K and I've got over 50% of the stock brakes left front & rear. No odd tire wear of loose front end action. I wonder if they had a bad run of parts?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
The brakes were good yet I just wanted the harder pads in front. Fronts had 50% left and the rears over 80%. They just put in the new fronts and lubed the rear sliders

The brake shop says that they just noticed the tierods on the diesels and that I probably didn't notice much because of the weight. No tire wear issues but the tires are still only 5K old

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I was wonderring more and more why the dealer was "so good" to me. Found this tonight

Ford Motor Company

Models:
F-Super Duty
Years:
1999-2000

Number Involved: 17,700

Dates of Manufacture: July 1999 - May 2000

Defect: The affected motor home chassis and heavy duty trucks have tie rod ends and/or drag link assembly ends that could have insufficient hardness in the ball stud. This could result in premature wear and, potentially, separation of the ball stud from its socket.

Remedy: Dealers will replace the tie rod ends and/or drag link assemblies. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification began Dec. 4, 2000. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Ford at 1-800-392-3673.

[NHTSA Recall No. 00V246111/Ford Recall No. 00S48]

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Good research, would be nice if the Dealer just told ya!

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
some of our local ford dealers have had a few complaints when it comes to recalls, for issues some of theirs as a special warranty policy that way they can limit the miles that the policy is good for, while all day i have been doing steering rack recalls on gm cars (unlimited mileage)(some really worn out rags too!) i had a 95 ford that had a burned up blower switch and our local ford dealer said it was policied up to 150000 miles only and since it had 168000 too bad...my best advice is if you have a problem find out from the dealer if your vehicle has any recalls , we check them all the time for people, most good dealers would rather do it for warranty money than not at all, i have seen lots of people spend money on parts they could have had for free is they had just asked!

Top Bottom