Fastest in History to 20 SX Wins?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Found this on RacerX ... interesting.

There have been 48 different racers that have won an AMA Supercross class main event.

Seven riders in AMA Supercross history have won 20 races; after last weekend’s win in Indianapolis, James Stewart is now one of them. The win at the RCA Dome was the first of his career (in Indy).

James Stewart is tied with Jeff Ward at 20 wins.

How Many Starts it took These Riders to get their 20th win

Stewart-33
McGrath-38
Reed-42
Hannah-49
Carmichael-53
R. Johnson-76
Ward-147

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Interesting. Thought it would have been McGrath (who's still fastest to 72, I guess)

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
It's going to be fun watching Stewart chase down MC and RC.....

If he stays healthy, #7 is going to have a real shot at catching RC in SX wins...... However, catching MC might be out of the question when you look at the lites class and see kids like Villopoto....

Bubba might be "the new one", but RV has got all the goods to be "the next one"...

Not to mention kids like Millsaps, Hepler, and a whole host of talented others who are progressing nicely....

I think the talent level is finally going to fill in the gaps that the sport has had in the past...........

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
That is one unbelieveable stat! Wow,I would not have guessed it.Did Chili confirm a new nickname yet?

I haven't had a chance yet, I've been to busy trying to calculate how many starts it took James to win a real title in the big boy class, looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer to finish my calculating though :p

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Okiewan said:
Found this on RacerX ... interesting.

There have been 48 different racers that have won an AMA Supercross class main event.

Seven riders in AMA Supercross history have won 20 races; after last weekend’s win in Indianapolis, James Stewart is now one of them. The win at the RCA Dome was the first of his career (in Indy).

James Stewart is tied with Jeff Ward at 20 wins.

How Many Starts it took These Riders to get their 20th win

Stewart-33
McGrath-38
Reed-42
Hannah-49
Carmichael-53
R. Johnson-76
Ward-147

I would assume from the absence of his name that Mike Larocco did not get 20 wins? I find this interesting, and surprising, seeing he rode for SX for what 14 years, (I know he road 18 years and I think in 125s for 4 years) in the top 10 almost every year and the last person to win an SX event other than CR, RC, Bubba and Kdub.

Wait, I found it,, 13 years in SX
2005 5th
2004 3rd
2003 14th
2002 6th
2001 3rd
2000 3rd
1999 3rd
1998 5th
1997 6th
1996 6th
1995 6th
1994 2nd
1993 12th

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Mind you, the titles I list are in the same timespan as the 20 wins

Stewart 33 starts, 20 wins, one WSX title
McGrath 38 starts, 20 wins, three SX titles
Reed 42 starts, 20 wins, one SX title
Hannah 49 starts, 20 wins, three SX titles
Carmichael 53 starts, 20 wins, one SX title
Johnson 76 starts, 20 wins, two SX titles
Ward 147 starts, 20 wins, one SX title

Of course, one has to take into acount who was racing who during those times. I would say that Jeremy had the "easiest", and maybe Stewart will as well, other than for titles he had to go against RC and Reed, RC had McGrath and Reed when he was hot, Reed has RC and Stewart, except for the year he won, Hannah had quite a few, and RJ and Ward were during the "golden age", so to speak, with a different winner almost every week.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
REAL men ride outdoors. :whoa:
Those stats?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Frudaddy that was mean,what hype,nicknames have to have some meaning. Speed,good pr,and the scrub. I liked hotsoup,but it did not last.
Well, he is currently recieving more hype than any rider I have ever heard of (how many times have you heard that he will be the next goat?), I wonder if he'll actually live up to it. If you haven't heard the hype, then read most of the SX threads here from the last 3 months. Alessi's daddy didn't put out nearly as much hype.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Took a look at the numbers, what they forget to mention is that James 20 wins in 33 starts is actually over a period of 48 races, they don't count the rounds he missed due to wadding his brains out as "starts" McGrath got his 20 in 38 consecutive events.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I compared Stewart's first two outdoor seasons to RC's first two outdoor seasons:

Stewart: 3 Overalls in 18 events with 6 missed starts. 0 titles
RC: 16 Overalls in 23 events. 2 Titles. RC Dropped down to the 125 class the final race of his second 250 season after already wrapping up the title to break Barnett's 125 win record which was why he doesn't total up to 24 events.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Chili said:
Took a look at the numbers, what they forget to mention is that James 20 wins in 33 starts is actually over a period of 48 races, they don't count the rounds he missed due to wadding his brains out as "starts" McGrath got his 20 in 38 consecutive events.

Thank you for doing the research on that.

As evidenced by the riders on the list, 20 SX wins is impressive no matter how long it took to get them.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Okiewan said:
So Jeremy is crap?
Nope, not for a minute.
However, wouldn't winning multiple championships in both SX and MX carry a little more weight than specializing in only one? (greatest SX, greatest MX, or greatest rider) This thread is focused on SX.......so yup, Jeremy is "the man".
I think RC would admit that, (in SX). And Stewart, although an excellent rider, has a LOT of work to do.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Okiewan said:
Big diff between Alessi's and JS don't you think?
As far as the difference in hype, it really comes down to the source. So yes, there is a pretty big difference, which is why I feel that Stewart's hype is greater (his daddy isn't generating the bulk of it, his fans are).

Note: I am only speaking of the surrounding hype, and not riding ability.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Okiewan said:
Good point, but also consider... JS got those wins against two other guys in that list.

My guess is this stat is also a by-product of why JBS also has the record for the 125 wins...because he spent an extra year on the 125s. An extra year of preparation is an extra year...regardless.

I suspect that there will still be some numbers and stats that JBS won't be able to claim at the end of his career.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom