filter leak.should I rebuild?

ok this is the problem.I lost the filter bolt for my bike and realy wanted to ride so I made a new bolt but it bottomed out when i thought it had pushed the seal down.about 4 rides later my power band just stopped working.I pulled the filter off and saw it had leaked so i pulled the carb and there was dirt in the carb but not in the reeds.I have never taken a power valve apart so I don't know were to start with that.I think it might just be gummed up because of the bike running rich.how can i find out if I did any damagae to the motor?it doesn't have many hours on it so i don't think its time but what can I do now?any imput is apreciated

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Originally posted by MikeyG
How about in english? I dont speak moron
Perhaps you shouldn't speak at all. :think:

Wizard try to give us some more info like the make and model of the bike. And as much specific info on the problem as you can.

Rcannon

Subscriber
Perhaps a different color powerband might be the secret. I prefer the red one mixed with my dirt.

BYE BYE Mikey, you've been warned about this too many times. You are GONE.

sorry guys I didn't see many problems with my post when I looked it over just a few miss spellings.anyways its a 2002 kx250.

tony91

Subscriber
I'm not sure about needing to rebuild, but your performance loss is probably due to a clogged jet or two. I don't think your power valve would become gummed up that quickly, but I certainly could be wrong. You said you have not taken it apart previously? If it is gummed up bad enough to cause a problem, it's probably a result of it not being cleaned over a long period of use. BTW, your post was fine. :thumb:

Rcannon

Subscriber
I think I would at least tear it down and have a look. It is a bit of a pain, but fairly simple. Your out only the cost of gaskets.

We let a friends CR 80 go after somethign similar happened. The dirt and crap ended up costing a new piston and rings. We were lucky to find the cilinder ok.

Originally posted by wizard69
sorry guys I didn't see many problems with my post when I looked it over just a few miss spellings.anyways its a 2002 kx250.
Too bad about the ignorant replies. I think your attempt at a repair was something anyone could have done.

bedell99

Subscriber
I know this might sound like a band aid to the real problem, but buy some good ole contact/brake cleaner and take off the subframe/airbox and carb and spray and clean everything. it seems you already know how to take off your carb if you got to the reeds. i would give everything a good cleaning. As for you power valve. Kawasaki uses a gulliten(sp??) type power valve system that is controlled by a rack and pinion type mechanism that controls when the valve open and closes. They are NOT self cleaning and are known to gum up once in a while, especially if the bike is running rich. If you totally lost top end on this bike this might be the cause. We'll anyway here is a quick fix. If you take off your pipe and remove the covers. The front one is a bit hard to get to. You can spray some carb cleaner in there and "hopefully" remove some muck. i know this is not the best way of doing things, but will help out if you are in a pinch.

Erik