Danny Stein

Nov 12, 2002
Okay I finally did what every rider should do if they call themselves a rider. I took a pretty hard spill over the weekend and snapped my front brake lever off my 02' 200. I'm not worried about the money to replace it ($10) but how do I do it. The Perch is still on the bars and the lever sheared right off. It was pretty interesting riding down a mountain with no front brakes lol. If any one can point me in the right direction to what to do I would appreciate it greatly.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
There should be a bolt that runs down through the lever on the perch. Remove, replace lever and put back in. Just make sure you get the cable back in the new lever right.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Keep in mind, there is a 10mm lock nut on the bottom. This has to be removed first. Then you can remove the bolt, also 10mm. There is also a return spring that is inserted in the lever itself, you will resuse that.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
It's very simple. Watch closely as you take the old one off and make sure the new one goes on the same way. You will need to adjust the screw in the new lever so it engages at the same time as the old one.

With that in mind, measure the length of the screw in the broken lever before you take it out of the broken lever. Then put it the new lever (if the new lever does not have one) the same depth as it was in the old lever. That way the brake should engage at the same point it did with the old lever. You should not have to do anything to the hydraulic system.

It will be easy-

JCW

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
I would also recommend getting some quality barkbusters. Not only do they protect your hands and fingers, but they keep the levers from breaking on get offs.

Good luck,
Chuck

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
you think going down a hill w/o front brakes is bad?
try 5 miles of sand dunes w/ no clutch. Actually riding wasnt that bad , but starting off after stopping was a b*tch.

Top Bottom