Finding the correct spring rates

Anybody know where I can find the correct spring rates for my weight. I used the Race tech websight to get their suggestion, and would like to find another source to see if they match up before spending my hard earned money.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Post your information here:).
There are quite a few knowledgeable suspension guru's who lurk and post here.
Just give them the following information:
  1. Your bikes MFG, model, and year
  2. Your weight ( dressed to ride )
  3. Your skill level
  4. The type of terrain you ride (MX, SX, gravel pits, power lines, woods, etc.)
    [/list=1]

Ok, here it is:

2001 yz 250
5' 8" 150lbs
novice (typically run 4th to 8th place in 250C)
MX (conditions very from hardpack to sand)

I probably won't revalve until winter due to lack of funds, but I think finding the right springs would help a lot for this year.

Thanks in advance

John Curea

Lifetime Sponsor
YZ
I would reccomend the following spring rates for MX

Fork .40

Shock 4.5

The stock rates are a little bit on the stiff side for your weight:
Fork 4.3 shock 4.9

Take Care, John

yz_387,
front .41, with 8mm preload, oil ht at 95mm
rear 4.6, with 95mm of rider sag

Last edited by a moderator:
yz_387,
front .41, with 8mm preload, oil ht at 95mm
rear 4.6, with 95mm of rider sag

I would agree with KXVET#207 if you were doing woods riding but they are a little light for MX

Thanks for the replies. The Race Tech web sight gave the same answer as KXVET#207, but I am going with the rates that rob mann suggested. They are the same as the stock spring rates from my old '98 yz125 and I still have them so I can make the change without spending a $. I already changed the shock spring and it was a BIG improvement. Tonight I will finish changing the fork springs. Thanks again.

Some of the rates that RT suggests are a little light for MX at least that is what I have found. They are much closer on the woods recommendations.

rob mann, thanks again. what exactly is the fork spring preload? Do I need to add a spacer to get the 8mm of preload. I know there is some preload on the springs from the factory, but I have no idea how much. Also, any idea what the weight of the factory oil is? If I need to add oil, I don't want to mix weights, so if I don't know what the weight is, I will have to drain the oil and start from scratch.

yz_387,
drop spring in fork with fully compressed, measure from the top of the tube, to top of spring then install the cap measure again from the top of tube to top of spring the difference between them is your preload, the YZ comes stock with 5 to 8mm, you may need to add spacers. In this fork you will have to add them under the spring not on top as it will get in the way of the rubber bottom out system, make sure the washers are just smaller in OD than the ID of the tube and have a larger ID then the plastic spring guild. I would recommend that you dump the stock oil and replace with a 5wt.

Hey rob mann,

I made the changes, but haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet. Since you had so much other info, I was wondering if you had a suggestion as to where to start with the clickers. Thanks.

Thanks for the clicker settings (although I still haven't had a chance to try them). How do you get all this info, do you work at a suspension shop or something? And about that high speed setting of 1, that is a lot more damping than the usual 1.25 to 1.5 that most magazines and such seem to suggest. What will running the high speed compression so tight do?

check out my profile, this is the setting that I found worked best for most conditions with the stock valving, remember CA is different than most other areas. try it at both settings and report back as to which you like best.