First Ride 400MXC.. With questions

DIRTBUM

Feb 20, 2000
Hello all
Just purchased A 02' 400M. Definitely a tough decision between the 520 and 400 but I am very happy with my choice. I came off a hopped up DRZ 400 and I must say that the KTM will run circles around it. Thats not a bad thing as the DRZ was not ment to run with the likes of a KTM. I rode at one of my favorite spots. The area contains fast sand washes, whoops from hell, lots of open single-track and rocky hill sections. The elevation is 5,000 to 6,000 FT. This bike performed fantastic. Was nice to have some rev again no need to short shift this bike! I was able to pull 6th gear in the sand washes but 5th was good enough for me. How cool it is to have that 6th gear when you want it. :aj: I did find however that 1st and 2nd gear are high gears. Of coarse that might be left over from my DRZ riding techniques. throttle response also seemed lacking in the lower three gears. could still pull thru anything in the low RPM range it just seemed like it took awile to get into the revs. again, that could just be me or maybe jetting. Rode the bike in complete stock form and i would imagine that i have some tweaking to do. As for as suspension? Well, its going to take awhile to figure out what i want to do to it. It was incredable!! Cant think of anything to change. A good suspension package. Heck, I didnt even set the sag!!
If anyone knows any cool set-up tips or jetting specs for this altitude(5,000-7,000) please let me know. I have a race coming up on april 15 and would like to have it tweaked for a little more throttle response in the first three gears. Thanks for any help...see-ya out there...... P.S. :eek: I did break the bike in properly before this ride..see-ya

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
A 52t rear sprocket is the first thing i would do. In order to accomdate it you need to reversr the chain adjuster blocks. This is be very noticeable in the lower gears. 1st gear is very tall on the MXC and SX. FYI, I ride the desert also.

I have a lot of jetting info. also, but because you just got the bike. I would change the sprocket, race, and then address the jetting. I got all excited about changing a lot of things on my bike before my first race on the 400 and DNF'd.

Last edited:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Glad you're enjoying your new bike. It's a great choice.

Explain to me what you define as "open single track", please. I'm not trying to get on you, I'm just always curious about what others call single track. For instance, I was wathching the DR 24 hour shootout on Speedvision the other day and they were calling single track stuff sections you could drive a jeep through. To me, if an ATV can make it down the trail, it ain't single track.

woodsguy2000

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2001
I agree about the single track, what some people call it is amazing. Single track to me is getting the bars thru!.Hey Strick, how does the 400 compare to the 380? Have a 380EXC now and thinking about a 400 or Husaberg 400. Any ideas? Later Rob

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
The single track here in the Northeast, accessable only by hikers, mountain bikers, trials bikes, and a few crazy dirt bikers. We had a section on yesterdays ride, out of 5 riders, zero of us made up. But going back was not an option, so the only way out of this raveen was to attack the hill up a very norrow single track and make it up as far as possible, then drop your bike and plant the handlebar in the dirt so the bike stayed, then climb to the top, lay on the ground and pull the bike up by the front wheel. With everyone helping each other, we finally got out. Cool stuff!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Woodsguy2000
If you like the power of the 380, I would get a 520. I would compare the 400 more to the power of the 300, once you find all the hp hidden in the 400.

Shaw520 - That is NOT cool stuff ;) :whiner:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
congrats on the new bike! I'm green with envy! Ditto! one wheel track only! I class it as tight and really tight. really tight is where when you get back to the truck, you need to ajust the bark. busters

DIRTBUM

Feb 20, 2000
Whew

Alright....Its not as tight as a "florida single track" where you have to wiggle the bike thru..I have done that and enjoyed it..The single track in New mexico is a cow trail. Usually it weaves thru cactus and rock fields. Atvs dont usually make it because each side of the cow trail is higher and filled with holes and cactus and lets not forget the juniper trees and the famous baynet bushes. Thats why the cows dont go thru. There are sections for the ATV's during the races but they usually devert them around the tighter stuff. Some of the tighter sand washes are the most difficult. You have to manuver your bike up the side then make a very fast turn then start back down. This is to miss the boulder or juniper tree that blockes the path...much fun

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Dirtbum: congrats on the new scoot! I came off of a Honda XR400 and feel the same way. <grin> I highly recommend the 52T rear - really changed the usability of the gears. Let you crawl around/over any tough stuff - and there is still plenty of top-end left to go "cartoon-fast" if you want to.

Don't know your weight/rididng style.... but I went to a PDS-3 on the rear and .44 springs up front.... and properly set the sag. Now it's even more way-cool. (g)

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Hey Strick, could you elaborate on swapping the chain block for the 52T sprocket?

Did you just reverse the black plastic rubbing block? or....?

Thanks! - rb

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by E-Ticket
I went to a PDS-3 on the rear and .44 springs up front (g)

This was stock on my SX (haha)

Randy - the adjuster blocks are aluminum. They are on the outside of the swing arm on each side, and the axle slips through them. They are what the chain adjuster bolts push against to move the axle back. I don't see how you got a 52t on the bike without having a real tight chain, or the rear tire rubbing on the mudflap. It really did help my gearing though.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
oops my bad.... Yes, I had to reverse the chain adjuster blocks to accomodate the 52T sprocket as well.

I thought you were referring to the black, plastic rubbing block in the chain guide below the swingarm. I *tried* to widen the gap on mine to handle the offset of the replacement sprocket - but without much success.

I am now relying on the wearing properties of the chain to finish "relieving" the close tolerance on the outside. (grin) - ET

p.s. On the stock SX springs? "...pplllbbb-t-t-tttttt..."

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Come again...? Are you referring to a straight-rate PDS-7 and a progressive-rate PDS-3....?

Which has just about exhausted my spring knowledge.... <g> - rb

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
PDS-0=6.5/8.3
PDS-1=7.0/9.0
PDS-2=7.5/9.7
PDS-3=8.0/10.3
PDS-4=8.5/11.0
PDS-5=6.6/8.6
PDS-6=7.15/9.05
PDS-7=7.6/9.5