CDI Rev Box Results on CRF450R Y05

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
Ok. I have been asking folks on this site about the results of using a CDI Rev box. I installed one and wanted to post the results.

This is what I learned from others:
HP gain is about 8/10th of 1HP and very slight inclease in torque - this came from a repreable well known engine builder who tested recently on thier new team race bike on a new dyno! So the claims of 3hp is not true.
Advantage is truely some/ not much overev which gives the ability to shift later
Overev studies and testimonials show ~ 30 yards gained before gear tops out
Also slightly improved throttle response from the hotter burn and advanced curve.

My results on my bike:
1st throttle response immediately on the stand and on the track is much crisper and clean!
2nd bike felt much more responsive and aggressive, almost two stroke like
3rd bike did get some overevv but not a whole lot but enought to be noticable.

Other
instead of the ussual 2 kicks to start the bike it took 7+ kicks.
I called the vendor and they said that the box should improve starting not make it worse and that the box was defective and to send it back. The also said that ~2/50 boxes they sell are typically defective.

I also learned that most of these boxes are made from the same manufacture and that other vendors just slap on thier stickers - except for the high end boxes that cost $400+.

So I think it was worth the $95 I paid for it.
I have more overev that made up a little for the extra tooth I added in the rear, crisper throttle response and more aggessive power feel. The bike feels more 2 strokish now.

Spokes574

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
Don't have a dyno run on my bike with the rev box.
The dyno run that the shop did was on another rev box manufacuture
"Vort##" this is programable and $400 - and that box they do have
a pre post dyno curve that showed only 8/10ths of 1hp gain and some
torque improvement.

I obvously purchased the cheap rev box - since I do not need a programable
one. But even with the cheap box that I purchased I could instantly hear,
feel a difference at throttle, when turned on, and on the track. It made the bike
seem to rev a tab bit faster, and power seem tab bit more aggressive besides being crisper. At present I am waiting for my replacement box to come in since the box I had took 7+ kicks to turn on the bike(defect according to manufacturer).
I liked it for $95. My son said I must leave it on the bike. He claims its the icing on the cake now - he said he notices the differnce and must have it on.

My only concern is reliablity, but I do have mods on the bike that make the bike run cooler than stock, just concern that the overev does not cause a valve issue long term.

Spokes574

Top Bottom