May 5, 2007
Well i think its time i change the piston and rings.But i can only afford the ring till around september.So ive put around 30 or 40 hours on it,Race it once and never did any thing to the topend. for that matter any thing other than chain adjustments and airfilter cleanings.But im pretty sure its ime for a topend job.i have a manual and know how to do it.But im not sure if its got a wieco or stock piston in it.I assume they require differnt rings from what the shop said.Do they and how would i tell if it wiesco or not?Ive been told wiesco will be writen on the under side of the piston.and if i have ring stick do i have to replace the piston to?And is car anti freeze safe to use in my dirt bike?Also i do not have a tourqe wrench will guestimates be ok when tightening the cylinder back down?Any other tips would be appreciated.

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I would never mix and match wiseco and oem,if you are using the oem piston,then use oem rings! The wiseco I referenced has a small w on the wrist pin boss,the piston is machined,oem is cast. No torque wrench,first time,this reeks trouble,been there done that,leaks and busted studs,stripped nuts may follow! Derek the 2 stroke,first time on a rebuild,something fishy there!

dpaxson

Sep 30, 2006
if it's a wiseco piston there should we a w on the underside of the piston under the wrist pin bearing. on a completely different and unrelated topic, I realized we're both named derek and we're the same age which is kinda weird but cool at the same time

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You can pick up an torque wrench for a lot less than it will cost you to repair the damage that will be done in the case that your guestimation is wrong.

Save your nickels and get one. Hey, here's a thought, don't ride for a few weeks. The money you'll save in gas and park/track fees will be enough so that you can buy the required equipment.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Do a search on antifreeze, it will bring up what you need. If you have a harbor freight tools close buy you can pick up a wrench for under $20.

j.lawson

Jul 18, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
Only if it's formulated for an Aluminum engine. Otherwise, you are asking for a lot of trouble.

this is somthing i'v never really thought about...what kind do you recomend? is that purple ice stuff any good? I'v used it.

May 5, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I would never mix and match wiseco and oem,if you are using the oem piston,then use oem rings! The wiseco I referenced has a small w on the wrist pin boss,the piston is machined,oem is cast. No torque wrench,first time,this reeks trouble,been there done that,leaks and busted studs,stripped nuts may follow! Derek the 2 stroke,first time on a rebuild,something fishy there!
Ha ha nothin fishy,im just fifteen and my parents never trusted me to work on the last bike we had.Ill try to borrow a tourqe wrench.And i figured somebody would have already given me a mouth full on not changin the piston to.Im on a pretty limited budget though ha ha.But how bad can that be?And look under the piston too confirm its wiesco right?Any other little thing I should check for while i got it apart,i know check the reeds and rod thts all right.Its not a powervalved motor.

j.lawson

Jul 18, 2007
what kind of motor is it?
check your cylinder for cracks or gouges.
check the surface of your head with a square, to make sure its not warped.
you gotta get a gasket kit too.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
j.lawson said:
this is somthing i'v never really thought about...what kind do you recomend? is that purple ice stuff any good? I'v used it.

You can almost bet that if you get it at the bike shop, it'll be ok..

If in doubt, read the label or ask someone at the autoparts store or the bike shop if what you are looking at is safe for aluminum engines.

I use Engine Ice in my bikes.. Seems to work well.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
derek the 2 stroke said:
Cant you reuse gaskets?

I've been known to reuse gaskets. I'll reuse side cover gaskets, cylinder base gaskets, reed block gaskets, etc... I don't reuse cylinder head gaskets due to the possible damage that can occur. I don't reuse crankcase center gaskets due to the difficulty of replacement if it were to leak. I only reuse gaskets if they are in really good condition. The age of the gasket has a lot to do with whether or not it gets reused. They harden up a little over time and stick to the surfaces when they have set for a while, these gaskets do not get reused. At work, I've reused gaskets of similar material to most motorcycle gaskets upwards of 60-70 times before they fail.

May 5, 2007
I know this thread is a little old but i didnt see a need to start a new one for this question.Im ordring the parts today.A topend gasket kit and stock piston ring.Well i was readin the cylinder prep before instalation sticky in the 2 stroke forum and i need to know if not honing my cylinder and restoring the cross hatch is gonna cause my bike problems when breaking it in.Or are is that just somthing thats healthy for my engine?

Top Bottom