Float bowl level...gas overflow.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
I have a 1996 KDX that I just bought. The bike leaks fuel from the overflow hose when it is tilted. I am not talking about being leaned way over but tilted just past where it is when the kickstand is down. I checked the float bowl level and it seemed to be dead on. The rubber point on the needle is good, it seals good and everything is clean. Should I bend the tab on the float a little more? This has to be the problem but it looks to be correct.

Anyone else ever run into this and it not be the float level?

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
Yes, it is a common problem. Bend the tab approx. 2mm more than stock suggestion. If this does not correct the problem, the needel or seat needs to be replaced.

jim

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
Thanks, I knew that it had to be the float level. That little bit will probably fix it. The needle and seat are in great condition and seal well. The bike is a '96 but probably has less than 5 hours on it.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
there was another post just like this but it said to bend the float 2mm less that stock instead of raise it. Not sure but look into that

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I've had a good looking needle leak due to (I think) rubber derterioration / hardening. A new needle and seat are a great way to eliminate this possibility without spending too much $ and time.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
The rubber on the needle seems soft and when i turn the carb upside down and blow through the gas inlet there is no leak-by. The needle and seat seem to be sealing. If the 2mm adjustment doesn't fix the problem I will replace it.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
Sick is right, more is less in this case. the way the float works means there needs to be more of an angle between the float and the tab that holds the needle.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
Yeah, I knew what you meant. 18 instead of 16. The tolerances are +/- one anyway so 18 is not that big of a jump. I plan on changing it tonight.

Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom