Leaking Gas from Carb Overflow - KDX 220

KingTutt

Apr 13, 2005
Hello, I have a 2002 KDX 220 that I just bought and have been upgrading to my taste (power). However, when sitting on the stand (leaning a bit) it will leak gas from the overflow tube on the carb. I have cleaned the carb, checked the float level via Tech Tips on the site and it still wants to leak. The float needle and seat looks to be in good condition. This bike only has about 20-25 soft hours on it.

Not sure where to go from here...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...KingTutt :bang:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
You need to adjust the float level in your carb. Do search here on correct way to do it. Canadian Dave also has the instructions I think. You can do it! Cheers John

Tom Cox

May 16, 2003
Another experience

I don't disagree with John. One question to you, is the fuel valve shut off and is it still leaking? The reason I ask is with my sons 2001 KDX200, it would leak with the fuel valve shut off. As John said I went through the routine to set the float level. This didn't cure it, so I did it again. Well the third time I purchased a new needle and the float gage tool from Kawasaki. It still leaked. Finally I purchase the replacement seal for the fuel shut off valve. The leak stopped. I wanted to think that using a new needle and the float gage tool, following the guidelines provide to set the float level it would have cured the problem. It didn't and people can still say the float is set wrong since it would drip gas out the over flow. I won't argue, because it's the most common reason. All I know is that when I replaced the seal in the fuel shut off, the problem went away.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Even if the gas at the fuel petcock was always left on the bike still shouldn't pee. Either the needle and seat assembly isn't sealing, or more than likely, the fuel level is just too high when the bike is on the kick stand. Just set the float so that the fuel level is 2mm lower and that should fix the problem (regardless of the petcock position or condition). If that doesn't fix it then go for the needle and seat sealing correctly.

Top Bottom