Flooding Problem

oldmanmike

Feb 25, 2005
I've got an '85 KDX200 that has always had a problem with flooding. When you go out to start it the first time for the day, it'll flood. Usually put in a new plug and it fires up the first kick and will run all day, until it cools down. Then it'll flood again. I sold it to my newphew a couple of years ago and it's been sitting. Carb was in real bad shape and the reeds won't seat. I cleaned it all up, put in a new main jet and new reeds, cranked on the thrid kick, ran great for a couple of hours, but surprise, wouldn't start the next day. Now I've got fuel coming out of the exhaust & overflow. I've been though the carb a couple of times and the float is set good and all the gunk is cleaned out (that I can see). I'm just looking for new ideas, I'm thinking a new carb is in it's future. Anybody got any ideas before I spend a chunk of change? Thanks. Oldmanmike.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
always shut off petcock at end of every ride?

probably have a petcock leak -- disconnect fuel line overnight bet the bike will work perfect

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
The float level may be set correct but did you check the needle & seat? Pull the needle out and see if there is a "Step" towards the point of the needle. Typically after time the needle will get "Stepped" from where it sits in the seat. You may want to replace the needle & seat and just rule it out.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I have an 85 KDX200, Carb parts a tough to get if you want OEM, Needle Jet-Discontinued. Can get an after market needle but it is shorter. Check the float valve. I have never had a problem like you discribed. You can get an after market carb for about $250. If the bikes in great shape it might be worth it

oldmanmike

Feb 25, 2005
Thanks guys. I tore the carb down again this weekend and everything seems to look and work fine. Couldn't feel a step in the needle. I think maybe something internal in the casting that I can't see. I think I'm going for a new carb. I've heard of problems buying off of ****. The bike still has a strong top end and I'm trying to get it fixed up for my son. Thanks again for a great web site.

oldmanmike

Feb 25, 2005
Just thought I'd give you guys an update on this flooding problem. I took both of my floats and dropped them in a can of gas and surprise, one floated, the other one sank. I ordered a new float and got it installed this weekend. The bike was hard to start at first, but finally fired up and has been running since. I also had to change the float level by trial and error till I got it to quit running out of the overflow. Hope this helps some of you with your problems.

oldmanmike

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…