DirTasteGood

May 18, 2009
I have a turbinecore 2 spark arrested silencer for my 125, and it leaks oil bad. So i took it apart. I pulled out the first section of packing out. It was totally ruined. Now my question. Does the second section that contains the spark arrestor come out? If so, how should i repack it? Does fmf sell repack kits? Thanks, and if you have any other advice, please share.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I have never done anything with the spark arrestor section, just the main packing. Several companies sell new packing just make sure you get the 2 stroke packing and not 4 stroke.

There have been several posts on how to repack silencers if your do a search. It's not hard at all and you will feel more power and the bike will be quieter.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
All FMF pipes come apart for repacking. I repacked my powercore 2 and it was VERY simple. you just some 2 stroke packing(fmf sells it...$10), some masking tape, and some high temp silicone sealant. And an allen wrench to take out the screws to take it apart. a rubber mallet id a must as well for breaking loose the old silicone. On their 2smoke silencers, the pipe end is where you take the screws out. the cap end is suppose to stay together. Hope I could help.
Matt

DirTasteGood

May 18, 2009
SVTMc-G said:
All FMF pipes come apart for repacking. I repacked my powercore 2 and it was VERY simple. you just some 2 stroke packing(fmf sells it...$10), some masking tape, and some high temp silicone sealant. And an allen wrench to take out the screws to take it apart. a rubber mallet id a must as well for breaking loose the old silicone. On their 2smoke silencers, the pipe end is where you take the screws out. the cap end is suppose to stay together. Hope I could help.
Matt

This one is a turbinecore 2, not powercore, so it has a back section with a spark arrestor riveted in, so hte forest service knows no one has tampered with it.

centreno3

Mar 9, 2009
DirTasteGood said:
This one is a turbinecore 2, not powercore, so it has a back section with a spark arrestor riveted in, so hte forest service knows no one has tampered with it.
hey i know it has rivet's,i took myne apart last night you just have to drill it out with a bit the same size as the head of the rivet,drill until you can see through the head then just grab some plyers and squeeze the head of the rivet,then the head will pop of and the rivet will fall,inside,now you can take the cap off,and take the arestor out ,and now rivet it back together

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The turbine part of the exhaust has packing wrapped around it. So yes you also need to remove this by removing the rivets there. The packing turns into a slime type of something and just starts plugging the center section up.

I have never wrapped the turbine part again myself. But you do have to rivet the turbine part and the endcap back on.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Don't touch the part that has the turbine in it. Tape, zip tie or wire the packing around the center section. If it is really nasty you will need to clean the carbon/spooge out of the holes before you do this. Slide it back into the canister sealing it with silicone and bolt it back together and reinstall on your bike.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
DWreck said:
Don't touch the part that has the turbine in it. [\QUOTE]

here is the problem. the oil starts to break down the packing around the turbine core center section. Thus it will turn into a slude and eventually clog the center section. So you do need to remove it and clean it. if the packing looks white and good, then leave it alone. But if it is like most I have done for friends, yeah the packing turned into a black state of sludge causing problems.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Matt90GT said:
DWreck said:
Don't touch the part that has the turbine in it. [\QUOTE]

here is the problem. the oil starts to break down the packing around the turbine core center section. Thus it will turn into a slude and eventually clog the center section. So you do need to remove it and clean it. if the packing looks white and good, then leave it alone. But if it is like most I have done for friends, yeah the packing turned into a black state of sludge causing problems.
I'm not sure that we are talking about the same part. I'm talking about the fan or "turbine" (spark arrestor) in the rear 4 or so inches of the canister. Without that it would be no different than any other silencer.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Yes we are talking about the same part. And if you remove it from the center of the silencer, you will notice there on the outside is a perforated metal much like the core of the silencer.

FMF wraps this from the factory with packing. Over time it breaks down, turns into a semi liquid sludge and clogs the perforated metal and migrates into the area around and in the turbine core section effectively plugging it just about solid.

Did 3 of these last month just like that.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom