Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
For comparison:

My father's V-10.
2000 F350, 4x4, V-10 Auto trans, 3.73 gears, 35" tires, shell, crew cab.

Freeway: 12-13 mpg. average
5 place enclosed featherlight snowmobile trailer with 5 snowmobiles, gear and gas (heavy): 6-8 mpg.

My friends 2003 F350, 4x4, 6.0L PS Diesel auto trans, 3.73 gears, stock tires (can't remember size), shell, crew cab.

Freeway: 15-16 mpg. average.

Same 5 place trailer: 8-10 mpg.

Oh, and the V-10's run fine on 85 octane. That is all that my 10 has ever been run on.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I know...I just couldn't help myself!!

I only get 20 with the Mustang GT...but it gets 20 "at speed". It's the most fun car to drive that I've ever owned.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Gomer drives a boy toy, Gomer drives a boy toy! :nener: Got a mullet working yet?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Okiewan said:
Gomer drives a boy toy, Gomer drives a boy toy! :nener: Got a mullet working yet?
Said Mr. Backards Hat Wearin' Ricer Boy. :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Okiewan said:
Says the Village People 'Stash wearin hillbilly.

Y:yeehaw: M:yeehaw: C:yeehaw: A:yeehaw:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Someone say YMCA? I get pretty good mileage in my Ranger and it has the V-10 I think?

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
XRpredator said:
Don't you know Diesels are WAAAAAY more expensive to maintain and repair than a gasser?

Not in my experience. Yeah, my truck holds 17 quarts of oil, versus 6 for the V10. It's also got a bypass filter on it so I can extend the drain intervals to easily match the cost of a V10 on oil changes. Yeah, it's got a fuel filter that needs changing. It takes about 15 minutes and the filters aren't that much money either and I have no plugs or wires to deal with, ever. The rest of the driveline is identical so there's no difference in costs.

Repair costs might favor the V10, but it's also a LOT more likely to need them than the Power Strokes. The 7.3L Power Stroke is a class 5 medium truck engine in a pickup. The V10 is a warmed-over passenger car engine design. I guarantee that the Diesel will outlast the V10. The used market reflects this fact. Price a V10 with 100,000 miles on it and then price the same truck with a Power Stroke. The PSD is still worth a nice buck. You can't give the V10 away.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
:cool:

Thanks for everyones input!

I decided to go ahead & buy it. I talked with a guy that I used to ride with who just happens to own a Ford dealership in Los Gatos, Ca. & he told me to go for it & if I'm not happy after a month or so, he would give me between 12 & 14k for it as a trade in.
It's funny, I was stressing over the milage, but the V-10 gets almost the same milage as my 500k mile 6.5 diesel. The V-10 is quiet, doesn't stink, & it sure looks better. ;)

Farmer John

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Broken Spoke said:
I guess I am a little biased because I also drive a diesel, but if you have gotten 500K miles out of a diesel, why not get another diesel. You know they last from experience.

I stressed over this point as well, but my history is this:

82 "Heavy Half" chevy with 350/TH350- sold with 512k
87 Ranger with 2.9V-6- sold with 527k
90 Ford E350 diesel- sold with 486k
94 Silverado 6.5TD- for sale w 508k

2 gas, 2 diesel. Good, thourogh maintenance goes a long way...so to speak. ;)

KMAPRO

Jan 11, 2005
I have a 2001 F-250 Supercab longwheel base 4x4 with the V-10.

A word to the wise - (and I am not complaining because I love my truck...but it is for sale as I don't need a heavy hauler anymore) - if you ever notice that your oil pressure gauge starts to bounce, go and have the dealership check it out immediately.

At around 29000 miles, my oil pressure gauge started bouncing but the oil level and pressure were fine.

The dealership replaced the sending unit on it..two months later, same thing - replaced the sending unit on it again...two months later - yep, you guessed it...bouncing again..but this time, I was 5 quarts low of oil - 3 weeks after having an oild change..

Well, they decided to do an oil consumption test on the truck. I wasn't smoking and I had plenty of power - nothing pointed toward any oil failures.

I drove the truck for 500 miles with yet another new sending unit. I was asked to bring the truck in at 500 miles and they would recheck everything. Well, at 500, it got the best of me and i checked it myself - no oil registered on the stick.

I called the dealership and had them come get it - the truck was 2 quarts low and they had no idea why. No leaks, no smoke - they were bafled.

The truck spent two weeks in the shop. The dealership even had Ford diagnostics on the phone trying tp figure out what was wrong. They ended up tearing down the engine to get a better look - I didn't care as long as it was covered w/ warranty and would fix the problem.

Come to find out that the number 7 piston ring gaps were crossed by 1/32 of an inch. Ford replaced the long black and I haven;t had a problem since!!!!

So, now I have a truck that has 35k on the body and 3k on the motor.

Pulls absolutely anything that I put behind it

Farmer John

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
My buddy that has the Ford Dealership told me almost the very same story about his personal V-10 station wagon....er I mean Excursion. :)
I will watch out for that!

roostn520

Oct 8, 2004
we use the v10 on gensets and have not had any problems,,,,but they run on natural gas since they are stationary,,,,very smooth, as far as mileage? i havent seen one move yet ! hahahah Mike

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
14 mpg with my '02 E-350 v10 extended van (132,000 mi.), no matter how it's loaded inside and occasional flirting with 95mph factory speed limiter. Less with trailer. My 2nd v10 van, warranteed high output alt. '01 FWD Excursion v10 12 mpg, 102,000 mi. (stole it at 83,000 mi with blown trans.) My van feels like a sports car compaired to the excursion, my wife pointed out to me.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom