Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Having sat on both sides of the V10/diesel fence I think there are two very distinct groups and each engine fits them very well. If you short run a diesel the long life gets shortened (much like most engines). If you rack up miles then the diesel is THE choice, if you pull a heavy load on a regular basis again the oil burner is the only choice. On the other hand if you usually take short trips and only need to use the heavy haul mode from time to time then the V10 makes more sense. My '99 V10 was a good rig but would eat my lunch now days in fuel because of the +24K I rack up each year and the heavy loads I subject it to on a pretty regular basis. When I had the V10 it was mostly a commuter and weekend "Tim Toolman Taylor" home improvement rig so it worked fine.

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
Originally posted by Patman
if you usually take short trips and only need to use the heavy haul mode from time to time then the V10 makes more sense

That's exactly where I'm at today. My situation could and may change and I'll have to re-evaluate. I would've worn down the diesel with short hauls and it wasn't just a $4k difference. It was $8k and an F250 XLT PSD vs. the F350 Lariat V10 which I bought. I'm not thrilled about gas being over two bucks for regular unleaded though.

Top Bottom